- How long Premium Bonds savers need to wait to win a prizeon October 14, 2021 at 8:11 pm
A new study says someone with a £1,000 holding would wait 213 years to win a £50 prize, so how long would those with larger amounts wait?
- Best current accounts: NatWest now offering £150 to switchon October 14, 2021 at 11:23 am
After pulling cash bribes for custom in the pandemic, there are now seven current accounts offering £100-plus for switching.
- The so-called easy access savings deals that come with costly catches on October 13, 2021 at 8:36 am
Some so-called easy-access accounts – that boast of market-leading rates – in fact have strict rules around when customers can make withdrawals – and even deposits.
- Can we open a joint bank account with our in-laws and get four cards?on October 12, 2021 at 6:17 am
We live close to my in-laws and our two families regularly do things together and split the cost or spending. Can we get an account to share this from?
- Contactless card limit rising to £100 next Friday: Which banks will allow you to lower the limit?on October 11, 2021 at 1:49 pm
From next Friday, Britons will be able to spend up to £100 using a contactless card without having to input their Pin – but some banks will let you toggle the limits.
- 50 shared bank branches must open NOW to save Britain’s cashon October 10, 2021 at 12:26 pm
One of the country’s leading banking campaigners has called on the industry to announce the setting-up of a nationwide network of banking hubs as a matter of urgency.
- Best buy easy-access savings rates: Coventry tops list paying 0.65%on October 7, 2021 at 6:44 am
Britain’s second largest building society has placed itself at the top of our independent best buy easy-access savings table with a deal paying 0.65%.
- Should I sell my old Premium Bonds and purchase new ones?on October 7, 2021 at 6:44 am
I have held a sizeable sum in Premium Bonds with National Savings and Investments for the best part of two decades. The returns I’ve had are modest – the old smaller prize win here and there.
- Best buy notice savings accounts: Are they a good spot for your money?on October 6, 2021 at 11:38 am
Rate starved savers hunting for a return while retaining instant access to their cash may feel there is little incentive to move their money right now – but could a notice account be worth it?
- Savers hit by biggest losses in a decade as prices rise at fastest rate for more than nine yearson October 6, 2021 at 8:41 am
The average rate paid on easy-access accounts has fallen to an all time low of 0.09 per cent. It means the gap between price rises and what you can earn on your savings is at its widest for ten years.
- Parents devoted to junior cash Isas missed out on £13.5bn since 2011on October 5, 2021 at 12:13 pm
Parents who favoured the ‘stocks and shares’ version of the popular tax-free savings account over the cash option would have earned up to £32,300 each more since they were launched in 2011.
- It might be time to break the habit of a lifetime and switch to digital bankingon October 3, 2021 at 7:50 am
Millions of us still have the same current account we used to squirrel away pocket money in as children. We examine the major digital banks vying for our attention.
- Virgin Money announces the closure of another 31 brancheson September 30, 2021 at 9:00 pm
The challenger bank, which bought Clydesdale and Yorkshire Bank three years ago for £1.7bn, said it will close the branches early next year – costing 112 staff their jobs.
- Best buy easy-access savings rates: Marcus boosts deal to 0.6%on September 29, 2021 at 4:19 pm
The bank, backed by Goldman Sachs, has boosted both its regular easy-access account and cash Isa from 0.4 to 0.5%. But there is a simple trick to boost this to 0.6%.
- Old bank notes: Paper £20 and £50 paper not legal tender from October 2022on September 29, 2021 at 11:36 am
This is made up of £9bn worth of £20 notes which is approximately 450m notes, or eight for every adult in Britain.
- Best cash Isas 2021: Where to get the best cash Isa rates and dealson September 28, 2021 at 4:40 pm
We pick our five favourite cash Isas for savers. This is essential Isa reading and is kept up-to-date throughout the year
- Best buy savings: Gatehouse Bank offers 1.51% fix for a yearon September 28, 2021 at 10:16 am
Gatehouse Bank has launched its Green Saver account paying 1.51%. It marks the first time rates have nudged past 1.5% for locking cash away for 12 months since May 2020.
- Call to safeguard cash on high street as hearing endson September 26, 2021 at 8:13 am
This follows a promise made by the Chancellor in the wake of the surge in contactless and mobile payments – and the continued closure of free-to-use cash machines and bank branches.
- Best buy fixed-rate savings: Recognise Bank launches 2% accounton September 23, 2021 at 8:08 am
Recognise Bank was given the green-light to rake in deposits earlier in the week and comes from the City of London Investment Group.
- JP Morgan launches Chase in Britain: Is its current account good?on September 21, 2021 at 10:35 am
Chase, which serves 60m households in the US, has today launched a current account in Britain. We take a look at what it is offering and whether it can be a smash.
- Banks offering new customers up to £130 to switch accountson September 15, 2021 at 8:30 am
Experts believe banks are trying to lure back customers from new banks such as Starling Bank and Triodos. Starling recorded the highest gain of customers in the first four months of the year.
- Is your child sitting on a share of £600m in missing trust fund cash?on September 15, 2021 at 8:25 am
Sarah Dowzell wants to step up for her ten-year-old son Zac who currently has £2,500 in an HSBC stakeholder child trust fund which currently charges a 0.45 per cent annual fee.
- Switch banks and get paid: Santander, HSBC and Lloyds offer up to £130on September 14, 2021 at 4:18 pm
The current account switching war has ramped up with three major high street banks introducing cash incentives within days of one another.
- Bank loyalty costs savers £1.6bn a year in missed intereston September 14, 2021 at 3:05 pm
Investment platform Hargreaves Lansdown says that there’s £246.5 billion languishing in accounts paying no interest at all.
- New cards offer FINGERPRINT payment to make shopping more secureon September 13, 2021 at 12:54 pm
‘Biometric’ debit cards won’t allow money to be taken without a fingerprint, which could stop card thieves in their tracks – but giving up personal data to a card company may be a worry for some.
- Fresh backing for our demands after more shops refuse cashon September 13, 2021 at 8:27 am
The consumer group Which? is the latest to back our demands for cash to always be available on the high street, with a bank and free cash machine in every town.
- Cash Isa rates climb as Secure Trust Bank launches new best buyson September 10, 2021 at 3:13 pm
The appeal of cash Isas is dwindling with standard fixed rate deals offering much higher rates of return.
- Could this simple trick grab you an easy access best buy savings rate?on September 9, 2021 at 12:20 pm
Savers looking to maximise their returns may be tempted in by an app offering a ‘best buy’ easy-access rate, but the devil is in the detail.
- Anger as banks shut accounts in money laundering panic on September 8, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Bank accounts are normally shut or blocked on money-laundering or fraud grounds when a large or suspicious payment has triggered a bank’s security systems.
- Savers no better off in a fixed Isa than an ordinary taxable accounton September 8, 2021 at 9:56 am
Isas protect savers from paying income tax on interest earned. But for the first time since cash Isas were launched in 1999, you are no better off in a fixed rate Isa than an ordinary taxable account.
- Savers finally being rewarded with higher interest rates…if they lock in for a yearon September 5, 2021 at 10:32 am
DF Capital has launched a one-year bond offering 1.45 per cent, for savers with more than £1,000 to put away. This time last year the best paying deal was from Paragon Bank at 1.2 per cent.
- The rise of faceless banking: Are we becoming a nation of online savers?on September 4, 2021 at 6:51 am
Amidst the wave of branch closures over recent years, Britons are feeling increasingly confident of managing their finances online.
- Savings platforms compared: HL Active Savings, Raisin & Flagstoneon September 2, 2021 at 10:57 am
One option that can help savers keep track of their accounts and more easily move to better rates is to sign up to a savings platform, but how close do they come to top rates?
- Experts warn that the new £100 contactless spending limit will lead to a surge in fraudon September 2, 2021 at 7:49 am
The new limit for debit and credit cards will be hiked more than 120pc from £45 to £100 on October 15 – allowing shoppers or thieves to easily spend up to £300 without being asked to enter a PIN.
- 20 bank statement abbreviations explained in simple termson September 2, 2021 at 6:43 am
Making sense of your bank statement is no mean feat as it’s often laden with complicated and seemingly unnecessary jargon.
- Who are Triodos Bank: Is there such a thing as an ethical bank?on September 2, 2021 at 6:42 am
There are dozens if not hundreds of ways we are told we can positively impact the world we live in. Switching off lights in your home, cycling to work, cutting your plastic usage.
- Best fixed-rate savings deals: How to get 1.9% on a one-year bondon September 2, 2021 at 6:41 am
Savers looking to secure better returns on their money are seeing fixed rate deals rising each week.
- Loyalty to HSBC now pays 4p per week as it cuts the returns for its cash Isa savers to just 0.02%on September 1, 2021 at 2:10 pm
HSBC will cut the returns for its cash Isa savers to just 0.02pc this month. This would pay loyal Isa savers who invest with the bank each year just £2 extra interest on the full £20,000 Isa allowance.
- Revolut’s new Payday feature to give employees an advance on HALF their salaryon August 31, 2021 at 1:46 pm
The banking startup’s new product will allow UK employees to get an advance on their pay at any time of the month – as long as their company is signed up to the scheme.
- Most Britons need over £7k more stashed away in savingson August 31, 2021 at 12:11 pm
A savings pot of around £17,465 is necessary ‘to feel financially secure’, Yorkshire Building Society and the Centre for Economics and Business Research said.
- These credit and debit cards WON’T hit you with a hefty fee when you use them in Europeon August 28, 2021 at 7:53 am
The typical debit card charges nearly £12 in fees for a £250 cash withdrawal – but switch your account to one of these fee-free options, and you won’t need to pay a penny on your holiday overseas.
- The fixed rate savings war rages on as Zopa Bank seizes top spoton August 27, 2021 at 6:05 am
The fixed rate savings war between banks is raging on as small providers jostle for the top spot on the best buy tables.
- Best buy savings rates: Why it is now worth chasing the top dealson August 26, 2021 at 4:55 am
In the last few weeks, challenger banks have started to battle it out in the best buy savings tables once more – especially when it comes to fixed rates.
- Are VIP bank accounts worth it… or does the cost outweigh the perks?on August 25, 2021 at 8:51 am
Some customers say their ‘personal’ banking assistant has actually got thousands of clients, while others complain special rates offered to premium customers are easily beaten elsewhere.
- Outrage as HSBC announces account charges for charitieson August 25, 2021 at 8:02 am
For more than a decade the banking giant has allowed charities and non-profit organisations to manage their finances for free, as long as they made no more than £100,000 a year.
- Is it time to lock into a fixed bond account? Rates shoot up to 1.35%on August 25, 2021 at 8:01 am
There have been 400 rate increases since the start of last month as banks compete to top the best-buy tables, according to research by website Savings Champion.
- Best buy savings rates: Who are Allica, DF Capital, SmartSave and Tandem?on August 25, 2021 at 7:46 am
Can you tell me a little more about these banks and what they do with cash they get in from savers before I make a decision and open an account with any of them?
- NS&I customers withdraw another £13bn between April and Juneon August 24, 2021 at 12:24 pm
Outflows of £13billion were higher than the £12.2billion in inflows, which means NS&I was left with a £200million decline in net financing.
- How to track down a Child Trust Fundon August 24, 2021 at 5:26 am
Almost one in four Britons believe they might have lost a Child Trust Fund they set up on behalf of a child or grandchild, or let it become dormant.
- Are you squandering your inheritance by being too cautious?on August 23, 2021 at 6:39 am
Britons are in danger of squandering their inheritance by keeping it vegetating in bank accounts paying little or no interest.
- Best inflation-beating savings rates: Make your money work harderon August 18, 2021 at 11:45 am
Savers are seeing their cash pots eroded, as not a single standard account manages to pay an inflation-beating rate, This is Money’s research reveals.
- Nationwide launches cash bribe for current account switcherson August 17, 2021 at 6:25 am
Britain’s biggest building society will pay £125 to existing members who switch their current account, while completely new customers will receive £100 for switching.
- Banks plan of shared branches: Hope at last for abandoned townson August 15, 2021 at 9:58 am
Sources said the banks are set to agree to a five-year deal to cover the costs of shared sites where customers of any large bank can pay in or withdraw cash and carry out transactions.
- Coventry BS’ new 0.65% Loyalty Saver vs rival best buyson August 13, 2021 at 7:26 am
It rarely pays to be loyal these days when it comes to the interest on your savings, but Coventry Building Society appears to be bucking that trend.
- Watchdog ‘is eyeing new rules’ to stop high street closures so customers can still access cash on August 11, 2021 at 11:08 am
It comes as more than 4,200 branches have now shut since 2015 – with 801 closing since lockdown restrictions were enforced in March last year.
- Give us a law to save cash: Readers call on ministers to act nowon August 11, 2021 at 11:06 am
We asked you to contribute to the Government’s crucial consultation on cash and the message was clear – we cannot afford to delay introducing laws to protect coins and notes.
- HSBC bids to lure in current account customers with £140 switching bribeon August 10, 2021 at 9:02 am
HSBC is dangling a £140 cash carrot in a bid to lure in new current account customers. The bank is offering the cash bribe to those who switch to its Advance Account.
- Click and collect your CASH: New app offers withdrawals from lottery terminals at local shopson August 5, 2021 at 2:14 pm
Britons may soon be able to withdraw cash at the till of their local shop, thanks to new app Sonect which uses the same technology as playing the lottery.
- Best buy easy-access accounts: Rates creep higheron August 4, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Investec along with Coventry BS and Skipton BS have all ramped up easy-access rates, meaning the 0.5% ceiling has finally been breached after a bleak 2021 for savers.
- Premium Bonds winner scoops £1m with one of the lowest holdingson August 2, 2021 at 11:08 am
One lucky Premium Bonds holder has become a millionaire with one of the smallest ever holdings to win.
- Premium bond jackpot winners only invested in Februaryon July 29, 2021 at 7:37 am
One man from County Durham purchased the bond which forms part of a £20,025 holding, meaning a 4,894% return on his outlay.
- Rare Olympics 50p coins: Do you have one in your home?on July 28, 2021 at 2:36 pm
As the Tokyo Olympic Games commence, The Royal Mint, the original maker of UK coins, is reminding the public to look out for the rare Olympic 50p’s that were released into circulation
- Help for National Savings & Investments savers hit by bond blunderon July 28, 2021 at 10:47 am
Treasury-backed NS&I had to write to savers after failing to tell them changes to the terms and conditions of its Guaranteed Growth Bonds in 2019 could mean a big tax bill.
- Should you invest or put money in savings account for your child?on July 27, 2021 at 8:00 am
Parents trying to put aside money for their children are in danger of seeing the value of their cash fall due to rising inflation.
- Tesco Bank to close ALL current accountson July 26, 2021 at 2:23 pm
The banking arm of the supermarket giant says it has 213,000 customers with a current account, but just 12% use it as a primary account.
- Best buy easy-access savings rate launched by Coventry Building Societyon July 23, 2021 at 9:15 am
Britain’s second biggest mutual is now offering 0.55% on its bread and butter savings account, beating Marcus Bank and others to be outright best buy.
- Building societies launch better-paying branch-based savings accountson July 20, 2021 at 9:45 pm
While none of the new deals can match the rate of inflation, which leapt to 2.5 per cent in June, they offer a much better chance of shielding your money than the 0.01 per cent paid by High Street banks.
- Best fixed savings deals: Rates begin to nudge higheron July 20, 2021 at 6:36 am
Average fixed rates rose monthly for the first time since October 2020, according to Moneyfacts, while choice grew to the highest number seen this year.
- A quarter of £100k-plus earners don’t have enough cash for rainy dayon July 19, 2021 at 8:00 am
A total of 23 per cent of households with an income of £100,000 a year could not pay a large unexpected bill or cover their essential outgoings for three months using their savings.
- Could a bright pink kiosk in the Co-op give us back our high street banks?on July 18, 2021 at 12:52 pm
This is a OneBanks outlet, where customers of any bank can take out and deposit money and carry out transactions. There is always someone on hand to help visitors – and teach them online banking skills.
- Should we look to Tally’s gold-linked account to beat inflation?on July 17, 2021 at 9:11 am
Rising inflation means cash savings are being eroded at an alarming rate at present, and the Bank of England could be forced to act sooner rather than later to quash the problem.
- Savers must act fast to cash in on a rate rise bonanzaon July 14, 2021 at 4:21 pm
Last week, there were 90 rises across easy access accounts, fixed-rate bonds and cash Isas, according to website Savings Champion. Around two thirds of the increases were for fixed rate deals.
- More misery for UK savers as inflation rises to 2.5% in Juneon July 14, 2021 at 2:29 pm
Alarm bells will be sounding for savers today following news that inflation surged for the fourth consecutive month to its highest rate for almost three years.
- Halifax reignites the current account switching war with £100 cash bribeon July 9, 2021 at 6:44 am
The current account switching war is ramping up this week with Halifax reintroducing its £100 switching offer with its paid for packaged offering.
- Best cash Isa rates: Three new top one year fixed-rate accountson July 8, 2021 at 11:58 am
Tax-free savers looking to eke out some extra interest on their cash Isa have three new best buy options this week.
- NS&I savers switch back to cheques for their Premium Bond winningson July 7, 2021 at 7:58 am
The bank has ditched plans to axe the popular prize cheques following our campaign. Last year NS&I sent millions of letters to customers asking for their bank details.
- First Direct in danger of losing its customer-service crownon July 7, 2021 at 7:57 am
For years the telephone and internet-only bank has topped satisfaction tables, and in January was named the ‘best British brand’ by the Institute of Customer Service.
- Marcus savers urged to act now to bag bonus easy access rateon July 6, 2021 at 9:01 pm
The bank previously paid 0.4 per cent but is now offering savers the option of adding a fixed bonus of 0.1 percentage points. When savers open an account they will receive the new rate automatically.
- M&S shuts down all its in-store bank branches todayon July 2, 2021 at 11:06 am
Marks & Spencer is shutting down all its 29 bank branches today, with the closure of all its current accounts to follow on the 31 August.
- NS&I backs down on plan to axe Premium Bond prize cheques in the poston July 1, 2021 at 12:09 pm
The Treasury-backed bank was in the process of forcing millions of savers to hand over their bank details so that prizes could be paid directly into accounts.
- Green bonds: What’s the rate, term and when are they available?on July 1, 2021 at 11:20 am
Rishi Sunak has today revealed further details of the much anticipated green bonds, but they won’t be available until later in the year.
- NS&I Green Bonds hint at what we can do with £200bn of lockdown savingson July 1, 2021 at 10:40 am
Unsurprisingly, as the opportunity to get out and spend increases, the trend for saving appears to be in decline, but there is a lot of money eager for a good home and better returns.
- Best easy-access savings: Coventry and Marcus become top dealson July 1, 2021 at 6:23 am
It may not beat the excitement of defeating the Germans 2-0 at Wembley, but like England fans, savers now also have some reason to cheer.
- Got an old £50 note? Then spend it quickly!on June 27, 2021 at 4:50 pm
The Bank of England launched a new plastic £50 banknote last week featuring an image of Second World War codebreaker Alan Turing. It is replacing cotton-paper notes.
- Visa to buy Swedish fintech start-up Tink for nearly £2bnon June 26, 2021 at 7:17 am
Tink, founded in 2012, develops technology that allows third-party applications to connect to customers from different financial institutions.
- NS&I sees a record £23.8bn go into its accounts in the last yearon June 25, 2021 at 7:05 am
The Treasury-backed NS&I has raised a record £23.8bn this year as customers poured money into savings in the wake of the pandemic, but it still fell short of its £35bn target.
- Best business savings: Investec boosts rate on its notice accounton June 25, 2021 at 6:55 am
Investec has boosted the rate on its 32-Day Business Notice Account from 0.55 to 0.65% – although it does require a chunky amount to open.
- New Alan Turing £50 note enters circulation: Here’s how to stop future inflation eroding its valueon June 23, 2021 at 1:21 pm
Savers and cash hoarders are being warned to consider the eroding impact of inflation as the Bank of England’s new £50 note entered circulation today.
- High Street banks paying lowest rates on easy-access accounts on June 23, 2021 at 8:15 am
Savers have £927bn in easy access accounts with around two-thirds in with big high street names. But their loyalty is costing them as all pay much less than the average 0.17% paid on these accounts.
- Nationwide mobbed for top Isa: Savers left waiting up to three monthson June 23, 2021 at 8:12 am
Nationwide was deluged with applications after launching a market-leading cash Isa on March 17. Around 250,000 savers rushed to open its fixed rate deal within the four weeks it was on sale.
- Save your cash from inflation by ditching easy-access accountson June 23, 2021 at 8:09 am
Last week it emerged that inflation had soared to 2.1% – up from 0.5% this time last year meaning savers stand to lose even more money on vast sums held in easy-access accounts.
- Lockdown savers stash away nearly £200 billion since March 2020on June 22, 2021 at 8:07 am
UK savers have stashed away almost £200 billion in savings since the Covid pandemic began, according to the latest Bank of England figures.
- Piggy bank apps that teach your children about moneyon June 20, 2021 at 8:54 am
Many youngsters are being encouraged to use apps that enable parents to keep an eye on their spending. One of the most popular is Gohenry. It is also one of the most expensive.
- Service meltdown at NS&I costs £1m in compensationon June 20, 2021 at 8:52 am
Treasury-backed NS&I paid £920,550 to frustrated customers in ‘goodwill gestures’ to compensate them for poor service. Complaints in the year to April 2021 more than doubled to 43,525.
- Savers put away 29% less as lockdown easedon June 19, 2021 at 7:54 am
People are still sticking money aside but less of it, according to figures from finance app Yolt, while Lloyds’ data showed spending on the rise.
- Payments with physical money drop by more than a third last yearon June 16, 2021 at 2:50 pm
Fewer British shoppers used cash to make payments last year as the pandemic message to not handle physical money filtered through, new data shows.
- Savers pull billions from NS&I accounts after rates are slashedon June 16, 2021 at 7:59 am
The Treasury-backed National Savings & Investments slashed its rates to as little as 0.01 per cent in November, leading to a record number of savers abandoning their accounts.
- Best savings rates: A quarter of Britons have less than £500 savedon June 15, 2021 at 10:30 am
Nearly one in five Britons – or roughly 10m people – have less than £100 in savings, new research from Yorkshire Building Society has revealed.
- Lifetime Isa deposits hit £1bn for the first time in 2020on June 14, 2021 at 10:46 am
The amount of money saved into Lifetime Isas more than doubled last year as deposits into the tax-free account aimed at first-time buyers topped £1bn for the first time.
- Metro Bank cuts interest it pays on its savings accountson June 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
In a letter sent to customers in the past few days, the bank has said that ‘following a review’, rates on two mainstream instant access accounts will be slashed to 0.05 per cent from August 12.
- Collection of more than 400 piggy banks to be exhibitedon June 12, 2021 at 8:51 pm
The collection is currently stored at curator James Blower’s home, but he has now found a space situated in an old bank premises where he hopes to exhibit them from this autumn or early next year.
- Close to 3,500 Nationwide savers left waiting months for Isa bonuson June 12, 2021 at 6:49 am
Just under 3,500 savers are still waiting for old Isas to be transferred into its 18-month tax-free account paying 0.75 per cent, half of whom put transfer requests in during March and April.
- Cash Isa savers lose £540million in a year thanks to inflation and low rateson June 11, 2021 at 8:28 am
Isa savers have seen more than half a billion pounds wiped off the value of their savings in the last 12 months as the cost of living outstripped ultra-low savings rates.
- We visit an Essex attic home to England’s first ever ‘Museum of Savings’on June 10, 2021 at 11:47 am
Savings bank consultant James Blower and his fiancée Tanya Burrage have amassed a 400-item collection charting the history of money boxes and piggy banks in the UK, from early 1900 to 2000.
- Hope for savers as fixed rates rise to 1% on a one-year bondon June 9, 2021 at 8:07 am
Experts warn that savers will need to move fast as the top deals won’t be around for long. Rates tumbled to record lows last year after the Bank of England base rate was cut to 0.1 per cent.
- Post Office launches campaign to ‘save our cash’on June 9, 2021 at 7:58 am
The Post Office is calling the Government and banks to work together to ensure those who depend on cash are not left behind. Latest figures show 4,188 bank branches have closed since 2015.
- Hit by the savings tax trap: Double whammy of low rates and HMRC delayon June 9, 2021 at 7:58 am
Long delays at HM Revenue & Customs means anyone attempting to correct their tax code and claw back overpayments by post could be forced to wait weeks for a response.
- The banks and building societies which pay better rates to loyal saverson June 8, 2021 at 12:15 pm
It is a commonly uttered truism in personal finance that loyalty doesn’t pay. However, in a minority of situations some providers do reward their existing customers.
- Third of parents are losing hundreds in interest by stashing kids’ savings in current accountson June 7, 2021 at 6:40 am
Parents saving for their children could be losing out on hundreds or even thousands of pounds in interest, as research reveals many are failing to take advantage of higher rate savings accounts.
- Could this shared bank hub be the saviour of our High Streets?on June 6, 2021 at 9:12 am
A new form of banking being trialled in the town could revitalise high streets up and down the country that have been left without a bank due to closures. You may find one of these hubs opening near you.
- One-year fixed-rate bonds pay 1% for the first time since November as rates improveon June 4, 2021 at 8:30 am
Aldermore Bank on Friday morning announced a raft of new best buy accounts, including a one-year fixed-rate paying 1 per cent for the first time since 23 November last year.
- Make a date to give your money a little
bit of loveon June 2, 2021 at 9:41 am
The idea may not sound romantic, but marriage counsellor Ben Leppier and his wife Kerry say they have saved around £8,000 since they started regularly setting aside evenings to talk about money.
- Could Premium Bonds be cut? £20bn has been poured in over the last yearon June 1, 2021 at 1:06 pm
Britons with more money to save over the last 12 months have piled £20bn into Premium Bonds since the first full month of lockdown last year, according to new figures from NS&I.
- Savings rates start to rise as tide may be turning for saverson May 31, 2021 at 8:05 am
Analysis by the rate scrutineer Savings Champion shows that a number of deposit-takers have tickled up rates this month – or introduced new fixed-rate bonds with higher rates than before.
- Why were my refunded Euro 2020 tickets paid at a worse exchange rate?on May 31, 2021 at 7:58 am
Football fans who had tickets cancelled for games in London and Glasgow are seeing less money paid back than they forked out, as they were charged in euros.
- We visit cashless Highgate with the man behind the cash machine raffleon May 28, 2021 at 11:14 am
The posh North London suburb of Highgate might not be the first place which springs to mind when you think of a ‘cash desert’. However, the people who live there disagree, and have called for help.
- Just 920,000 savers hold more than £2 in every £5 held in Premium Bondson May 28, 2021 at 7:38 am
Despite 21.4m savers collectively holding £107.4bn in Premium Bonds at the start of this month, £46.1bn of that is held by just 920,000 people who hold the maximum £50,000.
- Banks still pushing savers online: Top rates are only available through smartphone appson May 26, 2021 at 12:17 pm
Atom Bank, raised its easy-access rate to 0.5 per cent, but customers must download its banking app onto a smartphone to qualify. The best easy access account at a bank branch pays just half this.
- How to enter Nationwide’s new £1m prize draw with just £1on May 26, 2021 at 8:15 am
All current and savings account and mortgage customers of the building society in England, Wales and Scotland will be entered into the first prize draw on the second Tuesday of September.
- Inflation hits cash savings: Consumer prices index jumps to 1.5%on May 26, 2021 at 7:02 am
Savers need to earn 1.5 per cent for their cash to keep its value in terms of what it can buy. The top rate is 1.32 per cent from Charter Savings Bank but you must tie up the cash for five years.
- Three quarters of Premium Bond holders have won NOTHING in 14 yearson May 24, 2021 at 11:46 am
Nearly three-quarters of Premium Bond holders have failed to win a prize in 14 years despite holding close to £80billion, according to figures released by National Savings & Investments.
- Nearly half of Britons have no savings despite job fearson May 23, 2021 at 9:58 am
New research by website TopCashback has found 45 per cent of people do not have a rainy day fund, and 21 per cent say they don’t have the cash to start one.
- Is big banks’ so-called action to save cash just a smokescreen?on May 23, 2021 at 9:30 am
When we asked the banks if their involvement with the Access to Cash Action Group would stop or slow down their plans to shut branches, not one of them said ‘yes’.
- Best buy savings bank PCF suspends share trading as chief exec resignson May 21, 2021 at 3:51 pm
PCF Bank, a £60.2million AIM-listed lender which obtained its banking licence in 2017, halted trading in its shares at 23p on Wednesday, ‘pending a further announcement’.
- How to build a fixed term savings ladder to get more intereston May 21, 2021 at 6:44 am
So-called fixed-rate ‘laddering’ involves savers spreading money across different fixed-rate bond terms to benefit from better rates and flexibility. And, as we reveal, doing so can really pay off.
- Rare 10p coins: The 2019 A-Z set worth far more than face valueon May 20, 2021 at 7:02 am
It could be time to raid those piggy banks and check under the sofa, with four circulating 2019 10p coins that are rarer than most selling for more than a 100 times’ face value online.
- Households reluctant to splurge their £180bn Covid savings pileon May 19, 2021 at 10:06 am
The British economy might not receive an injection of rampant consumerism after lockdown, as people adopt a ‘type of post-war austerity’ research from Nationwide suggests.
- Spark of hope at last for savers as rates rise from rock-bottom levelson May 19, 2021 at 8:30 am
Atom Bank now pays 0.85 per cent on its one-year fixed-rate bond, while others, such as PCF, Allica, Aldermore and Shawbrook banks, offer between 0.75 per cent and 0.79 per cent.
- Enough of the Covid excuses… Let us back in our banks! on May 19, 2021 at 8:16 am
Most banks restricted branch services when Covid hit in March last year, with many closing altogether. The move caused long queues down high streets around the country.
- Bank reveals the names that customers give to their savings pots – and everyone wants a holiday on May 18, 2021 at 4:47 pm
Lockdown weary Britons are readying themselves for a spending splurge on holidays, new cars and dream homes, new analysis by TSB has found.
- Digital coin jar Shrap wants Britain to go coinless, not cashlesson May 14, 2021 at 8:15 am
Chris Forero-Slee and James Cummins founded Shrap in Bournemouth three years ago. It is being trialled in Rochford, Essex, as well as Scotland and Northern Ireland, over the next six months.
- Bellringers and bowlers caught in HSBC crackdown on money launderingon May 12, 2021 at 11:06 am
Meg Hostler, founder of a Berkshire village club, the Finchampstead Handbell Ringers (pictured), says she was recovering from a throat infection when HSBC rang last year to clarify some information.
- Act fast to bag a better bond: Banks return to market with top rateson May 12, 2021 at 8:04 am
Yesterday, Atom Bank raised the rate on its one-year fixed-rate bond to 0.85 per cent, while Shawbrook improved its deal to 0.75 per cent. At the start of May, the best rate was 0.63 per cent.
- Barclays shuts down reward scheme for customers who aren’t onlineon May 12, 2021 at 8:04 am
Barclays announced that only customers who are signed up to online banking or the mobile app can benefit from the ‘Blue Rewards’ programme which offers cash prizes to members every month.
- Hundreds of thousands face new NS&I tax billon May 12, 2021 at 7:54 am
The tax trap was caused after state-backed National Savings & Investments changed the way its popular Guaranteed Growth Bonds worked two years ago.
- Can app rescue the millions of us who still rely on cash?on May 9, 2021 at 3:19 pm
Using a phone app, the service – provided by Swiss company Sonect – allows someone to order up to £200 of cash that they can then pick up at a local shop.
- NS&I: Could a 2019 terms tweak cost you hundreds of pounds in tax?on May 7, 2021 at 3:23 pm
Hundreds of thousands of savers face the prospect of handing some of their savings interest to the taxman after two-year-old terms and conditions changes by NS&I begin to bite.
- Britain WILL keep its lockdown savings habit in 2021on May 7, 2021 at 6:45 am
Britons are expected to partially keep up their lockdown savings habit in 2021, the Bank of England said today, but in a blow for savers the base rate could stay at an all-time low for another two years.
- Packaged current accounts: Was yours useless in the pandemic?on May 6, 2021 at 6:29 am
There were more than 25,000 complaints about packaged bank accounts last year as Britons were left with monthly fees for perks rendered useless by the pandemic.
- How to save around the world: We share money tips billions swear byon May 5, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Around the globe you’ll find an exotic mix of theories on how best to manage your cash. Here we explain the different money-management methods millions swear by.
- Savers missing out on £1bn a year by leaving cash in current accountson May 5, 2021 at 7:52 am
The amount in bank accounts has soared by nearly 30 per cent over the past year after ‘accidental savers’ benefited from spending far less during the pandemic.
- Saver wins Premium Bond jackpot after just two months of waitingon May 4, 2021 at 2:22 pm
A Surrey saver has become only the 21st Premium Bondholder in the 64-year history of the draw to win the £1million jackpot within the first two months of buying one.
- Proof a cash machine can help boost businesseson May 2, 2021 at 2:00 pm
Thanks to requests from local firms and residents along Bishopthorpe Road, a high street just outside York’s city walls, a new cash machine was installed – and everyone is reaping the benefit.
- Queues at half-open banks continue to blight Britonson April 30, 2021 at 11:01 am
Britons have had to queue at their local bank for up to an hour with death certificate papers and to pay in coins as reduced opening hours and branch closures cause havoc in some towns.
- Will Sainsbury’s supermarket bank bounce back after £21m loss?on April 30, 2021 at 6:43 am
The banking arm of Britain’s Sainsbury’s delivered a rotten set of results as it revealed the previous year’s £48million profit had turned into a £21million
- Which banks are winning the current account switching war?on April 29, 2021 at 10:52 am
The number of people swapping current accounts between January and March using the official switch service fell by over 27 per cent on the previous three months, data shows.
- Royal Mint carves a 10kg gold coin which sells for ‘six figure sum’on April 29, 2021 at 1:06 am
The Royal Mint has unveiled the largest ever coin in its 1,135-year history, a gold-plated piece with a hefty weight and an even heftier price tag.
- Everything you need to know about savings! This is Money podcaston January 25, 2019 at 4:41 pm
When savings is mentioned, the first thought that springs to mind for many is: rates are low, what’s the point? We take a look in the latest This is Money podcast special.
- How to invest and save for your children – the This is Money podcaston December 7, 2018 at 4:47 pm
It might not be on the top of your to-do list when you have a child, but investing and saving for them to build a tidy nest egg for when they reach adulthood is best done sooner rather than later.
- Savings compensation and protection: Bank ownership and licenceson September 20, 2018 at 12:12 pm
The way you spread out your savings with banks is crucial in terms of protection and compensation. We show you how to get protected.
Saturday, October 16, 2021