- Does Samsung’s energy-saving SmartThings app really save you money on bills? on July 2, 2022 at 8:24 am
Samsung says its SmartThings app helps users track and cut energy use – but they will need to invest in costly tech devices first.
- National Insurance changes: Millions see monthly pay rise as threshold changes on July 2, 2022 at 8:23 am
The changes will see the threshold for NI contributions rise from £9,880 to £12,570, meaning less of people’s salaries will be subject to the tax.
- How small investors can cash in on floatson July 2, 2022 at 7:44 am
The stockbroker Peel Hunt is now offering a service allowing easier access to IPOs for clients of AJ Bell, Hargreaves Lansdown and Interactive Investor.
- What is a dead cat bounce? Investing Explainedon July 2, 2022 at 7:40 am
It is often heard when stock markets stage a brief comeback at a time when pessimism and woe have driven share prices lower.
- MARKET REPORT: Travel stocks stage mini-rallyon July 2, 2022 at 7:39 am
Cruise company Carnival rose 6 per cent, or 37.2p, to 656.8p, though it remains down more than 50 per cent this year.
- Outlook for global economy darkens with soaring inflationon July 2, 2022 at 7:38 am
With fears of recession mounting, official figures showed inflation in the single currency bloc hit 8.6 per cent in June on the back of sharply higher food and fuel prices.
- Shares in BAE Systems hit record highon July 2, 2022 at 7:38 am
Amid turmoil on financial markets worldwide, BAE rose 1 per cent, or 8.2p, to 838.4p, taking gains for 2022 to 52 per cent.
- Marks & Spencer faces bloody nose over bonus for Steve Roweon July 2, 2022 at 7:36 am
The retailer will face shareholders at its annual general meeting and is expecting a significant backlash over Rowe’s £2.6m pay packet.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Trading places post-Brexit takes timeon July 2, 2022 at 7:34 am
Disentangling Britain’s trade performance post-Brexit and the pandemic is hugely complicated.
- Shell may have to write off investment in major Russian gas projecton July 2, 2022 at 7:33 am
The Kremlin has drawn up plans to transfer ownership of the Sakhalin-2 plant, located in the far east of the country, to a new Russian firm.
- Tycoon Robert Tchenguiz ‘financially raped’on July 2, 2022 at 7:31 am
The flamboyant investor suffered defeat in a lawsuit over debts racked up during the pandemic.
- RAY MASSEY: Peugeot UK managing
director Julie David on missionon July 2, 2022 at 7:30 am
Upwardly mobile and edging towards premium class, Peugeot’s pitting itself against rivals such as Germany’s Volkswagen and Korea’s Hyundai.
- RAY MASSEY and the new all-electric Citroen e-C4 Xon July 2, 2022 at 7:28 am
The French marque has given a distinctive derriere to its 4.6m-long, four-door fastback alternative to mid-sized models.
- Mary Portas: We need more creative high streets and 15 minute citieson July 1, 2022 at 10:13 pm
The retail expert believes our post-Covid way of life gives us a unique opportunity to revitalise ailing high streets.
- Supermarket Sainsbury’s set for first quarter resultson July 1, 2022 at 9:07 pm
The business follows its larger rival Tesco, which last month revealed shoppers are changing spending habits in order to save cash.
- BUSINESS LIVE: Lamprell investor weighs takeover; CVS acquisitionon July 1, 2022 at 4:00 pm
The FTSE 100 has closed little changed at 7,168.65, while the FTSE 250 has fallen 0.2 per cent to 18,636.98.
- How to battle unfair charges from private parking firms and win: This is Money podcaston July 1, 2022 at 3:09 pm
Many motorists will have received a dreaded charge in the post and in some cases, unjustifiably so. If that’s you, it’s time to fight back.
- SMALL CAP MOVERS: Deltic Energy; Oxford BioDynamicson July 1, 2022 at 3:03 pm
Deltic Energy was a notable riser as oil giant Shell made a decision that sets up the AIM-quoted group for a big opportunity in a new gas exploration project off the English east coast.
- Mortgage borrowing spiked £3.2bn in May according to Bank of Englandon July 1, 2022 at 11:52 am
New mortgages granted totalled £7.4bn in May, according to the Bank of England, up from £4.2bn in April.
- Money saving tips: Free concert tickets and mobile network perkson July 1, 2022 at 11:29 am
We explain how to get cheap concert tickets and a free three-month music subscription, and provide tips on how to get the most out of your mobile phone contract.
- Martin Sorrell’s S4 Capital snaps up another digital agencyon July 1, 2022 at 10:48 am
S4 said its Media Monks business has entered an agreement with social media marketing services agency XX Artists.
- New EU vehicles to be fitted with speed-limiting tech from 6 July – will Britain follow suit?on July 1, 2022 at 10:10 am
Motoring experts warn that while the same rules are yet to be given the green light by the Government, drivers may have little choice in the matter if manufacturers fit the tech.
- Veterinary services group CVS buys vet practice for £3mon July 1, 2022 at 10:06 am
CVS said it has bought Old Courts Veterinary Centre, a veterinary practice in North Lincolnshire, and has enough cash and bank facilities for ‘further’ acquisitions.
- Do you have home insurance cover for your garden goods?on July 1, 2022 at 8:22 am
Millions of households splashed out on expensive items for their gardens in various lockdowns, but many do not have cover for them, new analysis by Defaqto shows.
- How to invest in the electric vehicle revolutionon July 1, 2022 at 8:18 am
Today, almost everyone is weighing up the pros and cons of electric vehicles, which in turn could mean a golden investment opportunity.
- House prices record lowest monthly growth since 2019, says Zoopla on July 1, 2022 at 8:18 am
Prices increased 0.1% in May, and Zoopla has predicted that levels of growth will reduce for the rest of the year.
- Top 10 most bought and sold stocks on eToroon July 1, 2022 at 8:18 am
UK retail investors are starting to ditch vaccine makers and losing patience with airline stocks, according to the latest quarterly stocks data from eToro seen by This is Money.
- Another Lamprell shareholder looking at potential offeron July 1, 2022 at 8:05 am
Sami Al Angari, the chief executive of Al Gihaz Holding Company who owns a 19.2 per cent stake, is in ‘the very early stages’ of considering a possible offer for Lamprell.
- How do I best pass on price rises at my small bakery? Dave Fishwick replieson July 1, 2022 at 7:50 am
I operate a small bakery business in a mid-sized town. I have built up a loyal customer base over the last five years – but I need to raise prices.
- Is your car a steal? Vehicle thefts are on the upon July 1, 2022 at 7:32 am
Last year, 112,000 cars were reported as stolen in the UK, with a combined value of £260m. However, just one in 20 car thefts leads to charges.
- House prices increased £26k in year to June but growth is now slowing, says Nationwideon July 1, 2022 at 7:24 am
The annual rate of house price growth in the UK slowed in June, rising 10.7% – down from 11.2% in May.
- Housing market cools as interest rate hikes and the cost of living crisis take their tollon July 1, 2022 at 7:06 am
The average cost of a home in the UK hit a record high of £271,613 last month- up a bumper 10.7% or £26,000 on a year earlier.
- The FTSE 100’s top laggards in 2022: Why have they been in freefall?on July 1, 2022 at 7:02 am
Ocado, JD Sports, Scottish Mortgage Investment Trust, Royal Mail and Ashtead Group are the FTSE 100’s worst performers in the first half of 2022.
- Global stock markets suffer the worst ever start to the yearon July 1, 2022 at 7:01 am
As fears of inflation, higher interest rates and recession spook investors, benchmarks around the world have tumbled since the beginning of 2022.
- How one of Britain’s biggest town centres is ‘dying on its feet’on July 1, 2022 at 6:59 am
One of Britain’s biggest town centres has been so badly affected by shop closures that some women say they ‘can’t even find anywhere to buy a bra’.
- What are your options if you don’t want to go into a care home?on July 1, 2022 at 6:01 am
Many people are open to paying for one-on-one care in their own home, but moving to a ‘granny annexe’ or family member’s spare room appeals much less.
- MARKET REPORT: Aston Martin shaken and stirred over finance fearson July 1, 2022 at 12:19 am
The luxury car maker said it is keeping ‘funding options under review’ following reports it is seeking to raise fresh cash to shore up the business.
- ALEX BRUMMER: A UK answer to defence bidson July 1, 2022 at 12:15 am
The time and energy the Government is spending on unlocking doors to the takeovers of Ultra Electronics, Meggitt and Inmarsat is extraordinary.
- Inflation in France hits record high amid mounting fears of recessionon June 30, 2022 at 9:12 pm
Official figures showed prices in France are 6.5% higher than a year earlier. The figures came a day after Spanish inflation hit a 37-year high of 10.2%.
- Clash of the retail titans: Ashley takes stake in firm backed by Greenon June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Mike Ashley and Sir Philip Green have been reunited as shareholders of Mysale – thrusting the AIM-listed minnow firmly into the spotlight.
- Boots now bouncing back from the pandemic, says chain’s American owneron June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Walgreens Boots Alliance said the High Street pharmacy chain was ‘good enough’ to hold onto as it highlighted bumper sales over the spring.
- Guild Esports investors spooked as David Beckham’s agent steps downon June 30, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Dave Gardner (pictured, left, with David Beckham) who looks after Beckham’s business ventures, stepped down as a non-executive director.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: Virgin Money’s £75m share buyback; Bunzl boosts outlookon June 30, 2022 at 3:52 pm
The FTSE 100 closed down 1.96 per cent or 143.04 points to 7,169.28 this afternoon and Virgin Money announced a £75million share buyback programme.
- Hotels and restaurants could become pricier in Julyon June 30, 2022 at 2:58 pm
Accommodation and food service firms appear to be the most likely to hike their prices next month, the Office for National Statistics said today.
- Petrofac boosted by higher oil prices and production volumeson June 30, 2022 at 2:41 pm
The London-listed company expects to generate more than 500,000 barrels per day of petroleum in the first half of 2022.
- Does London have a carjacking crisis? There were 2663 cases in 2019-21on June 30, 2022 at 12:57 pm
A convicted car thief interviewed for the study said the volume of cases is down to a ‘new generation of kids’ who ‘tend to not be bothered about using violence’.
- Rise of ghost brokers selling phony car insurance on social mediaon June 30, 2022 at 12:11 pm
Drivers are being warned to be alert for a rise in ‘ghost broking’ scams that largely originate on social media targeting younger motorists.
- Could the falling pound be a GOOD thing? Strictly Business debateon June 30, 2022 at 11:50 am
Sterling is down more than 9 per cent this year against the dollar and has also fallen, though less steeply, against the euro.
- Can the EU’s e-fuels stance save internal combustion engines?on June 30, 2022 at 11:47 am
The EU agreed a 2035 cut off for all non zero-emission new cars, but granted manufacturers until 2026 to prove synthetic fuel can qualify as a CO2-neutral option.
- Aston Martin Lagonda shares stall on rumours of fundraising planson June 30, 2022 at 11:16 am
Aston Martin Lagonda shares nosedived on Thursday morning after an industry report claimed the firm was plotting to raise more capital from investors.
- Inland Homes posts widening loss amid contract costson June 30, 2022 at 10:44 am
Housebuilder Inland Homes posted a pre-tax loss of £8.2million for the six months ending 31 March today, against a loss of £5.8million a year ago.
- Electric car charging cables can be too short, study suggestson June 30, 2022 at 9:41 am
A study of 22 battery cars found that some brands are providing cables as short as 3.8m as standard, which is not suitable for accessing the public charging network.
- Kingswood sees annual revenue surge by 488%on June 30, 2022 at 9:35 am
KIngswood’s annual operating profit jumped by £5.5million to £6.3million, its latest annual results have revealed, while revenues also increased sharply.
- UK car production levels rose for first time in 11 months, SMMT sayson June 30, 2022 at 8:59 am
UK car production rates increased by 13.3% last month, representing the first shoots of growth after 10 consecutive months of decline, the SMMT said today.
- Can a pension detective track down your lost nest eggs?on June 30, 2022 at 8:03 am
Fresh analysis of figures dating back to 2008 shows a meteoric rise in the number of savers using the government’s Pension Tracing Service.
- SALLY SORTS IT: Compensation claim that turned into a car crashon June 30, 2022 at 8:02 am
In November 2019, I was involved in a car accident sustaining injuries to my back. The driver who hit my vehicle admitted full liability at the time.
- Bunzl ups annual revenue forecast amid boost from high inflationon June 30, 2022 at 8:02 am
FTSE 100-listed Bunzl’s first half revenue is expected to increase by 16 per cent year-on-year, it said in a trading update today.
- Central bankers warn the era of low inflation and easy money is overon June 30, 2022 at 7:56 am
Bank of England governor Andrew Bailey was among a host of central bankers to hint that more aggressive interest rate rises may be needed.
- Virgin Money unveils £75m share buyback programmeon June 30, 2022 at 7:44 am
Virgin Money said it would buy back shares with an initial repurchase of up to £75million in aggregate between its ordinary shares of £0.10 each.
- Private parking firm issued a charge despite the fact I’d paidon June 30, 2022 at 4:00 am
A couple of months ago, we visited a car park, paid the correct amount and left before the ticket expired. Shortly afterwards, a parking charge came through the post.
- The Book Nook in Stewarton named best small family business 2022on June 29, 2022 at 11:01 pm
The Book Nook, a small independent bookshop in Stewarton, Scotland, has been named Britain’s favourite small family business.
- Kwasi hit by backlash after backing sale of UK defence firm Meggitton June 29, 2022 at 9:12 pm
The business secretary said he was ‘minded to accept’ the £6.3bn acquisition of Meggitt by US industrial conglomerate Parker Hannifin.
- Unilever sells Ben & Jerry’s Israel business amid West Bank sales row on June 29, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Ben & Jerry’s last year said it would no longer produce ice cream for Israeli settlements on occupied lands. The move sparked a diplomatic row.
- Whitbread boss Alison Brittain to leave Premier Inn owner in Februaryon June 29, 2022 at 9:07 pm
The 57-year-old, who has decided to retire from full-time executive life, will leave the Premier Inn owner at the end of February.
- Morrisons feels pinch as sales slump over past three monthson June 29, 2022 at 9:07 pm
Morrisons, the subject of a £7bn takeover by private equity firm Clayton, Dubilier & Rice this month, reported a 6.4% fall in like-for-like sales..
- Crypto-focused hedge fund Three Arrows Capital collapses amid turmoil in digital currency marketson June 29, 2022 at 9:06 pm
Three Arrows Capital was pushed into insolvency after a bruising few weeks that sparked warnings the industry faces a harsh ‘crypto winter’.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Britain’s strategic muddle over defence firm takeoverson June 29, 2022 at 9:06 pm
In a flurry of decision-making the government has come out fighting in defence of jobs, capacity and the public interest in the steel industry.
- MARKET REPORT: Cruise company Carnival sets sail towards a £750m losson June 29, 2022 at 8:50 pm
On just the latest brutal day for investors since the coronavirus crisis struck, shares in the company behind the famous Cunard line fell 17.4%.
- BUSINESS LIVE: Ofgem’s £21bn grid package; Mulberry dividend paymentson June 29, 2022 at 4:16 pm
The FTSE 100 closed down 11.09 points to 7,312.32. Among UK companies with reports and updates are Mulberry, Stagecoach, Capita, Lookers, B&M and Moonpig.
- Hyundai Ioniq 6 reveal: Could it become a Tesla Model 3 beater?on June 29, 2022 at 3:58 pm
The manufacturer says its ‘single-curved aerodynamic profile and carefully crafted contours’ have created its most aerodynamic car yet.
- Should you reduce pension saving? Why it’s short-term gain, long-term painon June 29, 2022 at 3:57 pm
One in 10 adults had already cut contributions or stopped paying into a pension altogether in early spring, according to a new survey.
- Lookers’ sales dented by car shortages but profits riseon June 29, 2022 at 3:36 pm
Ongoing supply chain problems in the new and used car market have boosted Lookers’ margins, with the dealership hiking profit expectations Wednesday.
- New MG4 electric hatchback has a SWAPPABLE battery for £30kon June 29, 2022 at 3:16 pm
The MG4 will be offered as a cut-price alternative to popular battery-powered hatches already on the market, including the Volkswagen ID.3 and Nissan Leaf.
- Capita on track as group reveals first-half contract winson June 29, 2022 at 2:46 pm
Revenue growth, contract renewals and wins and a bolstered balance sheet have helped lift Capita’s first half performance, the group said in an update today.
- Halifax slashes minimum deposit required to buy a new build home to just 5%on June 29, 2022 at 12:55 pm
The bank has halved the minimum deposit from 10% to 5%, meaning borrowers could buy an average-priced home with a deposit of £14,500.
- How to challenge parking fines and winon June 29, 2022 at 12:45 pm
Our analysis shows that few people contest their parking tickets. Yet they have more than a 50% chance of success if they do.
- Consumers will NOT see energy bills rise amid £21bn upgrade, Ofgem sayson June 29, 2022 at 12:36 pm
Energy regulator Ofgem has set out a £20.9bn package to upgrade the grids across Britain, which includes £2.7bn of upfront funding to boost capacity.
- Stagecoach posts £1.17bn revenue but does not resume dividendon June 29, 2022 at 11:15 am
Stagecoach also saw its adjusted operating profit for the year climb to £72.7million, up from £48.1million a year ago, today’s figures reveal.
- Why paying thousands to escape your mortgage could save you moneyon June 29, 2022 at 9:09 am
To put a lid on rising bills borrowers are rushing to lock in cheap fixed rates before they disappear – even if it means paying steep penalties.
- Energy firms hike early exit fees to as much as £600on June 29, 2022 at 9:04 am
A year ago, the average charge to leave a fixed gas and electricity deal was £60. Yet EDF Energy now charges £300 to leave a two-year fixed deal.
- When topping up your state pension WON’T payon June 29, 2022 at 8:38 am
The full new state pension is worth £185.15 a week. To get this you must have 35 qualifying years of National Insurance contributions.
- HMRC pledges crackdown on ‘unscrupulous’ tax refund firmson June 29, 2022 at 8:34 am
The companies promise to help customers claim tax perks such as marriage allowance. However, taxpayers can easily do this themselves for free.
- Jupiter chief exec Andrew Formica quits to ‘sit on the beach’on June 29, 2022 at 8:09 am
Formica’s tenure has been marked by a sharp fall in the share price and billions of pounds of ‘outflows’ as investors withdraw their savings from Jupiter funds.
- Billionaire plots to double workforce at Oxfordshire battery makeron June 29, 2022 at 8:09 am
Australian mining magnate Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest (pictured) snapped up Williams Advanced Engineering in January for £164m.
- Are you on a nuisance caller’s sucker list?on June 29, 2022 at 6:05 am
About 1.5 billion nuisance calls occurred last year, but, astonishingly, the number of people reporting them has more than halved
- American owners abandon Boots sale sparking talk of a floaton June 28, 2022 at 9:24 pm
The collapse of the planned sale of the 173-year-old High Street chemist casts a cloud over chief exec Seb James (pictured).
- Lawyer could face jail after evidence in Ocado probe burned on June 28, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Raymond McKeeve ordered an IT manager to ‘burn’ messages to stop them falling into Ocado’s hands during a corporate espionage probe.
- ECB chief to unleash first rate hike since 2011on June 28, 2022 at 9:14 pm
As the Frankfurt-based institution hardened its message on the economy, Lagarde (pictured) outlined plans to raise interest rates in the single currency bloc.
- Staff exam cheats land Ernst & Young a record £82m fineon June 28, 2022 at 9:09 pm
In a blow to the tarnished auditing industry, the London-based accountant admitted 49 auditors cheated on the ethics portion of a US exam.
- Arm boss claims chip maker’s £40bn float will spark a hiring boomon June 28, 2022 at 9:09 pm
Rene Haas said the Cambridge-based chip designer would use the cash generated from the IPO to pursue takeovers and speed up hiring.
- South West Water is latest firm to be targeted in Ofwat probeon June 28, 2022 at 9:08 pm
The firm adds to a growing list of suppliers under investigation as the watchdog probes how all waste-water companies manage treatment works.
- MARKET REPORT: Chairman’s £1m vote of confidence in THGon June 28, 2022 at 9:06 pm
City heavyweight Charles Allen joined THG in March as founder Matt Moulding looked to beef up the board and win back the trust of the stock market.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Walgreens failed mission to sell Bootson June 28, 2022 at 9:05 pm
Surging interest rates across the globe mean that the financial buyers, willing to pounce on assets, have become risk averse.
- Savers pile billions into NS&I accountson June 28, 2022 at 9:00 pm
NS&I is Britain’s biggest savings provider and looks after £207bn for 25 million people. Premium Bonds are its most popular account.
- SALLY HAMILTON: It’s time to go to war on the scammers on June 28, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Ata a friend’s photographic exhibition a few days ago, I got to chatting with a couple of other guests. We asked each other what we did for a living.
- The ‘wool’ M&S jumper that’s only a third woolon June 28, 2022 at 9:00 pm
Complaints about goods that were poor quality, faulty or not as described soared by 138% last year, according to dispute service Resolver.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: Heathrow airline fees; M&C Saatchi on the defensiveon June 28, 2022 at 4:03 pm
The FTSE 100 ended the day up 0.9 per cent to 7,323.4, while the FTSE 250 closed 0.2 per cent higher at 19,351.27.
- M&C Saatchi urges shareholders to reject ‘high risk’ Vin Murria bidon June 28, 2022 at 3:50 pm
In a 48-page long defence document, the M&C Saatchi’s board has reiterated that the bid ‘materially undervalues’ the company.
- Why we can’t just print more money: Bank of England bookon June 28, 2022 at 12:29 pm
Bank of England economists Rupal Patel and Jack Meaning’s book – aimed at sixth formers and interested lay people – has sparked a political row.
- UK automotive jobs could be at risk as energy bills soar 50%on June 28, 2022 at 11:56 am
The sector’s annual energy bill – which is already £50m more than its European Union rivals – will rise by £90m in 2022, analysis by the SMMT shows.
- National Bank of Egypt’s new best buy one-year savings rate at 2.7%on June 28, 2022 at 11:09 am
Fixed-rate savings deals continue to rise, with new top accounts over one, three and five years all firing to the top of the independent This is Money best buy tables.
- Red Bull to make its own hypercar that costs £6M and ISN’T road legalon June 28, 2022 at 9:50 am
Powered by a V8 hybrid engine designed delivering over 1,100bhp, the Red Bull RB17 is expected to accelerate from 0-60mph in around 3 seconds and to a top speed of more than 200mph.
- Warning that inflation means half feel ‘priced out’ of healthy foodon June 28, 2022 at 8:30 am
The Food Standards Agency said that recent increases in food prices present a ‘growing threat’ to the standard of food people eat.
- Cosmetics firm Warpaint London looks its best as sales hit recordon June 28, 2022 at 8:09 am
In an update ahead of its annual general meeting, Warpaint London hailed its business for ‘delivering high quality cosmetics at affordable prices’.
- Cake Box to open more stores after reporting pre-tax profit of £7.7mon June 28, 2022 at 8:08 am
The results marked a 83.3% jump from the previous year as it continued its post-pandemic recovery. Revenue rose by 50.7%.
- What does it take to become a first time buyer today?on June 28, 2022 at 8:05 am
It seems with every passing year the homeownership aspiration shared by so many young Britons becomes ever more the distant dream.
- Is the US stock market cheap enough to invest in again?on June 28, 2022 at 7:04 am
Many investors view long term US prospects favourably but have shied away from pricey valuations. Does market carnage mean it’s worth another look?
- City watchdog probes Wise boss Kristo Kaarmann over tax affairson June 27, 2022 at 8:51 pm
The Financial Conduct Authority is looking into the affairs of Kristo Kaarmann after he was last year labelled ‘deliberate tax defaulter’ by the taxman.
- Credit Suisse found guilty in Bulgarian drug money laundering caseon June 27, 2022 at 8:51 pm
In the first ever criminal conviction of a major Swiss lender, Credit Suisse was fined £1.7m and ordered to pay £16m in compensation.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Reverse ferret at the G7on June 27, 2022 at 8:51 pm
Last June, the G7 met in a sizzling Cornwall and Boris Johnson was at the top of his game as he pushed a radical agenda for carbon reductions at Cop26.
- MARKET REPORT: Mining shares boosted by £500bn G7 spending planon June 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm
The FTSE 100 was up 0.7%, at 7257.76 at one stage yesterday and the FTSE 250 added 1%, to reach 19315.48 late in the afternoon.
- Chancellor in talks with UK insurers as he seeks to ditch EU ruleson June 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm
Rishi Sunak and economic secretary to the Treasury John Glen met the bosses of Aviva, Legal & General, and Lloyd’s of London among others.
- Shares in CareTech soar after it backs founders’ £870m takeover offeron June 27, 2022 at 8:50 pm
CareTech’s board agreed to a 750p a share offer from siblings Farouq and Haroon Sheikh, who are executive chairman and chief exec respectively.
- Residential care firm CareTech accepts £870.3m takeover offeron June 27, 2022 at 6:51 pm
The Hertfordshire-based firm said that if investors accepted the deal, it would help fund the expansion of its technology division and presence across the Middle East.
- Carex owner PZ Cussons sees revenues continue growing in face of rising inflationon June 27, 2022 at 6:42 pm
The Manchester-based group has said that revenues for the three months ending 31 May had increased by 7 per cent on a like-for-like basis when compared to the equivalent period last year.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: CareTech set for takeover; Wise founder faces tax probeon June 27, 2022 at 4:01 pm
The FTSE 100 has closed 0.7 per cent higher at 7,258.3, while the FTSE 250 ended the day up 1 per cent to 19,318.95.
- VW’s ID. Aero is a new electric family car with a 385 mile rangeon June 27, 2022 at 2:33 pm
The ID. Aero previews Volkswagen’s first fully-electric saloon car, aiming to provide more rear interior space and comfort than any battery model it currently offers.
- I requested an Isa transfer but a month later and it’s still missing, can you help?on June 27, 2022 at 2:17 pm
I went to the Coventry Building Society to arrange a transfer of my Isa from Metro Bank, but nothing happened. I thought transferring an Isa took 15 days.
- MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Dogs of the FTSE dividend powerhouseson June 27, 2022 at 1:58 pm
Over the past two decades, the Dogs of the Footsie have stumbled at times. But they have delivered consistently high dividend yields
- Should you invest in India? Experts tip the next global powerhouseon June 27, 2022 at 1:47 pm
for many professional fund managers, it is now India – not China – that represents one of the world’s most exciting long-term investment opportunities.
- McMurtry Spéirling electric fan car sets new Goodwood Hillclimb recordon June 27, 2022 at 1:37 pm
The McMurtry Spéirling, a 200mph single-seater that uses two fans to suck it to the road, posted a time of 39.08 seconds at the 1.16-mile route with former F1 driver Max Chilton.
- SMALL CAP SHARE IDEAS: Sureserve set to benefit from UK going greenon June 27, 2022 at 1:23 pm
Sureserve looks well placed to benefit from the increased interest in insulation, heat pumps, battery storage, solar power and the like.
- GLOBAL SMALLER COMPANIES TRUST: A big record on dividendson June 27, 2022 at 1:14 pm
The fund has 190 holdings, 180 of which are in companies. The remaining ten stakes are in investment trusts.
- Cost of living crisis could tip UK into ‘mild recession’ next yearon June 27, 2022 at 12:32 pm
A ‘mild’ recession could be a ‘distinct possibility’ if consumer spending slows down further and the EU and US fall into their own recessions, according to KPMG.
- We reveal real bargains in discount stores – and those to avoidon June 27, 2022 at 11:38 am
We analysed prices of 70 popular food, toiletry and household items at nine discount stores in London and Essex.
- Where do income seekers invest as markets and inflation run wild?on June 27, 2022 at 11:28 am
Income-seeking investors had just started to see dividends recover following the pandemic, but now face a fresh crisis.
- How London property asking prices have struggled since Brexiton June 27, 2022 at 9:10 am
Inner London property prices have not kept pace in percentage terms with the rest of Britain since the Brexit vote in June 2016, our exclusive analysis reveals.
- Mulberry results litmus test for how luxury brands are copingon June 27, 2022 at 8:42 am
The handbag specialist, favoured by the Duchess of Cambridge, pointed to ‘robust’ sales in its trading update in March.
- Bank for International Settlements pushes for more rate hikeson June 27, 2022 at 8:42 am
The Bank for International Settlements, known as the ‘bank of central banks’, said the risk of stagflation ‘looms over the global economy’.
- Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged to set tough rules on Chinese dealson June 27, 2022 at 8:41 am
The Policy Exchange said PM Boris Johnson must urgently set out the role that China-backed firms can play in industries vital to national security.
- Hepatitis drug trial gives pharmaceutical giant GSK big booston June 27, 2022 at 8:40 am
It estimated its treatment bepirovirsen could generate peak annual sales of more than £2billion if later stage trials are successful.
- MPs plan new law to prevent repeat of LV sale debacleon June 27, 2022 at 8:40 am
The move by MPs comes after a successful campaign by us to stop the sale. Readers have called for a vote of no-confidence in boss Mark Hartigan.
- Generator Hostels owner considering £1bn saleon June 27, 2022 at 8:38 am
The boutique hotel and hostel company offers offers lodgings in London, Rome, Paris, New York and other major cities for less than £50 a night.
- Bentley boss: Order book is bulging, wealthy still have pots of money!on June 27, 2022 at 8:37 am
Adrian Hallmark is struggling to find the words to describe the company’s recent success. Bentley has continued to smash records.
- HAMISH MCRAE: We don’t have to fear the R-word of Recessionon June 27, 2022 at 8:30 am
We do not need all the grandees to tell us to be glum. We are perfectly capable of being glum without their advice.
- Stand-up comic Luisa Omielan talks to ME & MY MONEYon June 27, 2022 at 8:28 am
Omielan says her Bernese Mountain Dog helped transform her into one of the biggest stand-up hits of the decade.
- JEFF PRESTRIDGE: Rates are rising but savers need to be vigilanton June 27, 2022 at 8:25 am
Just because the interest rate has tickled up doesn’t mean a saver is necessarily getting the best deal on the particular account they have.
- Should I fix my energy deal now before the price cap shoots up again?on June 27, 2022 at 8:14 am
I’m on a standard tariff, but I got the offer of a fixed-rate deal. I haven’t been tempted because it looks so expensive. Am I wrong?
- The weak pound is headlining again, says RUTH SUNDERLANDon June 27, 2022 at 8:11 am
The pound’s problems reflect domestic political and economic woes, but also the flight by international investors to the dollar.
- I am 80 and can’t get full housing benefit – can I fight the council?on June 27, 2022 at 7:28 am
I’ve contacted my council several times and was told it was my own fault as I chose to live where I do. The person I contacted was rude and I asked if they had any two-bedroom houses and was told no.
- British Gas owner Centrica pulls out of race to buy Bulbon June 26, 2022 at 9:16 pm
Centrica was one of three parties in the running to purchase Bulb and take on its customers, along with Octopus Energy and Abu Dhabi rival Masdar.
- Barclays to hunt down the £1BN Covid crookson June 26, 2022 at 12:29 pm
It is estimated that bogus borrowers may have got their hands on up to about £5billion of the total of £47billion issued by all of the banks.
- STOCKS TO WATCH: Boatman blasts Thungela’s coal comebackon June 26, 2022 at 10:16 am
Thungela’s stock has rocketed from £1.11 at its debut to £12.60 now, valuing it at £1.7billion as coal prices soar.
- Euromoney likely to be broken up if deal to buy group is successfulon June 26, 2022 at 10:12 am
The FTSE250 firm said last week it was in talks with private equity firms Astorg and Epiris.
- Bank of England Governor Andrew Bailey on rack over inflationon June 26, 2022 at 10:11 am
Senior economists and an influential MP have demanded a major parliamentary inquiry into the Bank’s failure to predict soaring inflation.
- Cosmetics entrepreneur Irene Forte may seek new investmenton June 26, 2022 at 9:53 am
Sales at Irene Forte Skincare have risen 300 per cent this year after a string of luxury department stores and websites snapped up the brand.
- Give firms tech tax break, Sage boss tells Chancellor Rishi Sunakon June 26, 2022 at 9:49 am
Steve Hare said this could foster an unprecedented £232billion ‘turbo charge’ for the economy.
- Sage boss Steve Hare: Our tax system should be remodelledon June 26, 2022 at 9:39 am
All political leaders that wish to be taken seriously should turbo-charge their policy ambitions to support this digital future.
- There’s NO panic to spend your old £20 and £50 banknoteson June 26, 2022 at 9:08 am
Although the notes will no longer be accepted in shops after September, it will be possible to exchange or deposit them at banks and post offices.
- Cashless society killing off the phone box, but one call could save yourson June 26, 2022 at 8:25 am
The Ofcom criteria for keeping phone boxes open is that 52 or more calls must have been made from them over the past 12 months.
Saturday, July 02, 2022