- US Federal Reserve to start hiking interest rates in Marchon January 26, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Pointing to strong jobs data and a jump in the cost of living, the US central bank said it ‘will soon be appropriate’ to end the era of ultra-low borrowing costs.
- Vote of confidence in Brexit Britain from Citigroup and Bentleyon January 26, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Citi launched a £100m overhaul of its tower in Canary Wharf, despite predictions that foreign banks would leave in droves after Brexit.
- Ocado to ramp up robot wars: Online supermarket aims to deliver groceries in as little as two hourson January 26, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Ocado said shoppers will be able to pick from a supermarket range, at supermarket prices and have groceries delivered in as little as two hours.
- Tech giant Sage’s £10m booster for Gatesheadon January 26, 2022 at 10:32 pm
The Sage will open in Gateshead in 2024 between the Baltic Centre for Contemporary Art (pictured) and the Sage Gateshead music venue.
- Oil hits $90 a barrel for first time in more than seven yearson January 26, 2022 at 10:29 pm
Western leaders have threatened to impose crippling sanctions on Moscow after Russia began building up troops on the Ukrainian border.
- MARKET REPORT: Airlines gain altitude as Covid restrictions easeon January 26, 2022 at 10:28 pm
British Airways owner IAG was the biggest riser on the FTSE 100 – up 7.4% – as investors hoped the industry would see a return to normality.
- Suicidal gambling addict groomed by Sky Bet to keep him hookedon January 26, 2022 at 10:28 pm
Sky Bet shared data with third-party companies to profile the ‘very high-value’ gambler that they needed to ‘win back’ and ‘grow’ after he quit.
- How Jes Staley backed Jeffery Epstein at JP Morgan on January 26, 2022 at 10:16 pm
Jes Staley, who resigned from Barclays amid a row over his relationship with Epstein, spent more than 30 years at JP Morgan before leaving in 2013.
- Mike Lynch could be extradited to US in days after losing court fight on January 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Lynch (pictured) faces fraud charges in America over the sale of his software company Autonomy to Hewlett-Packard in 2011.
- ALEX BRUMMER: The cold chill of US justice awaits Mike Lynchon January 26, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Mike Lynch’s long legal and media campaign, aimed at avoiding extradition to the US over fraud allegations is running out of rope.
- Barclays to bid for mortgage firm Kensington in race with Starlingon January 26, 2022 at 6:55 pm
Barclays is understood to be competing with digital rival Starling for the lender, which is backed by investment giants Blackstone and Sixth Street.
- Tullow Oil forecasts cash flow beating guidanceon January 26, 2022 at 6:51 pm
The energy exploration firm said its net debts at the end of 2021 fell to around $2.1billion from $2.4billion the prior year and were about 25 per cent lower than its levels in 2019.
- Wizz Air’s losses climb following huge rise in costs and Omicronon January 26, 2022 at 6:19 pm
The Hungarian company recorded a €267.5million loss for the final three months of 2021 compared to €116.4million during the same period last year.
- Bentley to spend £2.5bn turning Crewe into a dream factory for EVson January 26, 2022 at 6:07 pm
The 103-year-old brand will make a 10 year investment in its Crewe plant as a vote of confidence in Britain and ‘a major boost for the UK economy’.
- Three building societies finally pass on some of the base rate rise to saverson January 26, 2022 at 5:49 pm
Three of Britain’s biggest mutuals are finally set to increase the interest rates on a number of savings deals, following last month’s Bank of England base rate rise.
- EV owners face a postcode lottery for charging costs, says British Gason January 26, 2022 at 5:29 pm
British Gas found that drivers in the South generally have access to more devices but have to pay more to use them.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: FTSE upbeat; Wizz Air loss unveiledon January 26, 2022 at 4:54 pm
The FTSE 100 closed up 1.33 per cent or 98.32 points to 7,469.78 this afternoon, while the FTSE 250 index finished up 1.05 per cent or 227.37 points to 21,873.08.
- Habito hikes rates on 7 times income ‘lifetime’ mortgages, adding tens of thousands in intereston January 26, 2022 at 3:50 pm
The rate rises would cost someone with a £200,000 mortgage and a 10% deposit £26,000 extra in interest over a 26-year term.
- Best current accounts: NatWest and Santander now offering cashon January 26, 2022 at 3:17 pm
Savvy Britons will be looking at ways to negate the cost of living crunch – and one way is to take advantage of bribes on offer to switch current account.
- Human drivers should NOT be liable if self-driving tech causes a crashon January 26, 2022 at 2:33 pm
The Automated Vehicle Act would aim to resolve the biggest grey area concerning bringing self-driving technology to our roads.
- Classic Minis go electric: Recharged project to convert original carson January 26, 2022 at 1:54 pm
For an undisclosed fee, a division within Mini’s Plant Oxford will strip out the original car’s A-series engine and replace it with a 121bhp electric motor and battery.
- Bestinvest offers free coaching, advice deals and cuts share dealing feeson January 26, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Bestinvest will offer two paid-for advice services with one-off fees, alongside free investment coaching, delivered by its own advisers.
- We did ‘no-spend January’ and saved a small fortune?on January 26, 2022 at 1:21 pm
Poppy Brown (pictured) saved £950 by ditching takeaways, switching to Aldi for groceries and making coffees at home among other measures.
- VICTORIA BISCHOFF: Firms must stamp out the price hikeson January 26, 2022 at 10:09 am
Even hardened hagglers like me become weary in the face of nonsensical pricing decisions.
- Underpaid state pensions: A guide to getting what you’re owedon January 26, 2022 at 9:30 am
The Department for Work and Pensions has faced a barrage of criticism over the fiasco which saw 134,000 mostly women miss out over decades.
- Broadband bandits: Millions facing internet and phone bill hikeson January 26, 2022 at 9:27 am
Telecoms firms are set to inflict increases of around 10%, despite inflation hitting a 30-year high. Mobile phone companies are ramping up bills even higher.
- ASK TONY: Storm trolley damage to our car means we have fewer reasons to shop at Morrisons!on January 26, 2022 at 9:22 am
I visited Morrisons in Holyhead on October 27. It was a particularly stormy day. When I returned to my car I found a loose trolley embedded in the rear light.
- Why investors should hold their nerves as Ukraine tension hits stockson January 26, 2022 at 8:42 am
Fears of an invasion of Ukraine continue to escalate, with both the U.S. and UK governments removing some diplomats from the Ukrainian capital.
- How the Brexit doom mongers got it all wrong: UK economy powers backon January 26, 2022 at 8:40 am
The jobs and earnings catastrophe for the City and UK plc, predicted so loudly by so many in the ‘remain’ camp, never materialised.
- After exposing WhatsApp Mum and Dad scam, we send dossier to policeon January 26, 2022 at 12:06 am
Last week we reported how parents like Jackie and James Taylor(pictured) were being bombarded with messages from crooks posing as their children.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Arm is a prize catch that mustn’t be allowed to get awayon January 25, 2022 at 11:46 pm
Britain’s ambition to be the ‘go to’ place for tech and fintech listings was underlined in two keynote government reports last year.
- Rio Tinto finally settles mining dispute with the Mongolian governmenton January 25, 2022 at 11:46 pm
The £5.1bn Oyu Tolgoi copper mine in Mongolia’s South Gobi region (pictured) has been beset by delays and cost overruns.
- MARKET REPORT: Footsie boosted by banks’ rallying cry to buy Britishon January 25, 2022 at 11:42 pm
The FTSE 100 rebounded 1% while the FTSE 250 rose 0.9% after JP Morgan analysts said London-listed firms looked ‘exceptionally cheap’.
- Fresh setback for Credit Suisse as it racks up more losses on January 25, 2022 at 11:42 pm
The Swiss lender was weighed down by the collapse of lender Greensill Capital last year and the implosion of hedge fund Archegos Capital.
- Tesla boss Elon Musk to scoop £26bn shares windfall on January 25, 2022 at 11:42 pm
The world’s richest man (pictured) is set to secure five tranches of shares worth around £5.2bn each in the coming months, according to analysts.
- Wolseley restaurant owner Corbin & King plunges into administration on January 25, 2022 at 11:41 pm
Chris Corbin and Jeremy King (pictured with his wife Lauren) run top London restaurants including The Wolseley, which is popular among celebrities.
- Martin Gilbert seals comeback with River and Mercantile takeoveron January 25, 2022 at 11:41 pm
Gilbert (pictured) who set up Aberdeen Asset Management, has agreed to buy River through his investment vehicle Assetco.
- Nvidia’s £30bn takeover of Arm on the brink of collapseon January 25, 2022 at 11:40 pm
US semiconductor giant Nvidia is understood to have conceded that the deal is unlikely to complete after a fierce backlash from regulators worldwide.
- Three Bugatti Chiron Super Sport 300+ hypercars arrive for UK customerson January 25, 2022 at 7:26 pm
HR Owen Bugatti London has taken delivery of the UK orders this week and pictured the trio parked in formation inside the dealership’s workshop.
- FTSE 100 climbs 1% as shares recover some groundon January 25, 2022 at 6:07 pm
Traders buying back into cheaper shares sent the stock market up today, but investors remain on a knife edge after yesterday’s 2.6% FTSE 100 fall.
- Capricorn Energy shares jump as Egyptian assets outperform forecastson January 25, 2022 at 5:10 pm
It now expects to deliver an average of 37,000 to 43,000 barrels each day in 2022, and for production to expand throughout the year and exit rates to surpass the high end of its forecast range.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: FTSE edges higher amid uncertainty; FCA issues warningon January 25, 2022 at 4:54 pm
This afternoon, the FTSE 100 has closed up 1.02 per cent or 74.31 points to 7,371.46, and the FTSE 250 index has finished up 0.9 per cent or 193.21 points to 21,645.71.
- Aviva pledge to judge firms on biodiversity and human rightson January 25, 2022 at 4:50 pm
The insurer’s investment arm, Aviva Investors, has told businesses it will judge them ‘on biodiversity and human rights as much as climate and executive pay’.
- Delays in fixing state pension crisis are unacceptable, says ROS ALTMANNon January 25, 2022 at 3:12 pm
MPs condemned the underpaid state pension scandal as a ‘shameful shambles’ last week, and we published new cases of DWP payment chaos. ROS ALTMANN explains how to tix the crisis here.
- Equity release hit new high in 2021 as over-55s battled cost of living crisison January 25, 2022 at 3:01 pm
A total of £4.8bn was borrowed in equity release mortgages in 2021, an increase of 24% compared to 2020.
- AssetCo all-share takeover of River and Mercantile Group confirmedon January 25, 2022 at 2:45 pm
As part of the deal, R&M shareholders will be entitled to receive 0.073 AssetCo new shares for each R&M share they hold.
- Top 10 UK companies for customer service revealedon January 25, 2022 at 2:38 pm
Pets at Home has pipped First Direct to the post and been hailed as the top UK business when it comes to satisfying customers, the Institute of Customer Service, said.
- Worst areas in England for potholes revealed with Cumbria topon January 25, 2022 at 1:22 pm
The North West county beat southern regions Hampshire and Surrey to the unwanted title according to reports logged on the Fill That Hole website in 2021.
- Energy and insurance bills fell in 2021 but a large increase is expected in 2022on January 25, 2022 at 12:33 pm
Energy and insurance bills fell marginally over 2021, with annual costs falling by £37 during the past 12 months, new research has revealed.
- The search for yield: Almost 200 AIM shares now pay a dividendon January 25, 2022 at 12:05 pm
Well-known tonic water maker Fevertree Drinks is one of the 195 AIM-listed companies that hands cash back to investors through divis, but there are also some less-known names that do so.
- UK stocks lose £68bn as Ukraine tensions rattle global markets on January 25, 2022 at 10:44 am
On a day of turmoil on financial markets worldwide, the FTSE 100 index fell 2.6% or 196.98 points while the FTSE 250 plunged 3.6% or 810.74 points.
- Recover-E: RAC adds ELECTRIC Renault Zoe to its breakdown fleeton January 25, 2022 at 9:19 am
It has added a pure electric Renault Zoe van to its fleet in a UK-first trial to understand how it will be able to use EVs after new petrol and diesel vans are banned from 2030.
- B&Q owner Kingfisher starts third tranche of share buyback schemeon January 25, 2022 at 9:08 am
Last September the company, which owns B&Q and Screwfix in the UK and Castorama and Brico Depot in France and other markets, committed to purchase £300million of its shares for cancellation.
- FCA to scrutinise firms using insolvency law to benefit themselveson January 25, 2022 at 8:55 am
The FCA said it planned to act amid a rise in the number of firms developing proposals, like Scheme of Arrangements, to deal with hefty liabilities to consumers, in particular redress liabilities.
- Am I saving enough for retirement? Just two in five people areon January 25, 2022 at 8:40 am
A new savings and resilience barometer launched by Hargreaves Lansdown looked at how likely people at different ages and income levels are to achieve a moderate income or above.
- Do you need to file a tax return to avoid pension pitfalls?on January 25, 2022 at 8:25 am
Filing a self-assessment tax return can also prevent those on higher incomes from being caught out by charges for breaching how much they can put in their pension pot each year.
- My sibling is refuses to sell the home we inherited – what can I do?on January 25, 2022 at 7:13 am
We are joint executors but don’t get on. He failed to turn the water off and a ceiling collapsed in our parents’ home. Lawyer Gary Rycroft replies.
- MARKET REPORT: Merger rumours send Vodafone stock soaringon January 24, 2022 at 10:15 pm
Vodafone shares jumped 4.5% after it emerged the firm held talks late last year about buying rival UK mobile network Three from CK Hutchison.
- Hut Group slumps again as analysts predict full-year profits will come in some £13m shorton January 24, 2022 at 10:14 pm
The online retailer’s stock fell 18.7%, taking losses since the start of 2022 to 47%. The shares are down 76% from their 500p float price in September 2020.
- Amigo finance boss Mike Corcoran quits as loan firm fights to surviveon January 24, 2022 at 10:14 pm
Mike Corcoran (pictured) said he was leaving the troubled lender immediately. The company refused to disclose the reasons for his departure.
- Private equity giant KKR snaps up Raleigh -owner Accell in £1.3bn dealon January 24, 2022 at 10:13 pm
KKR’s purchase of the European bicycle giant, which is based in the Netherlands, comes after cycling boomed during the pandemic.
- Australia’s richest man buys Williams F1 team’s battery arm for £164mon January 24, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Andrew Forrest (pictured), founder and chairman of Fortescue Metals, will buy the unit, based in the Oxfordshire, to help it reach its green targets.
- Singapore fund to buy £5bn testing firm Element Materials Technologyon January 24, 2022 at 10:13 pm
Element’s wide-ranging work includes testing Rolls-Royce plane engines and checking how corrosive oil and gas pipelines are.
- Disgraced financier Lex Greensill returns to Australiaon January 24, 2022 at 10:12 pm
The Australian financier (pictured), who sparked the biggest lobbying scandal in a generation, has returned to his humble roots in rural Queensland.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Nelson Peltz could prove a tricky friend for Unileveron January 24, 2022 at 9:50 pm
The arrival of Nelson Peltz (pictured) and his £6bn-plus activist Trian Partners on the Unilever share register gave its equity a rare boost.
- Unilever now a bid target after Glaxo debacleon January 24, 2022 at 5:27 pm
Trian Partners, run by billionaire Nelson Peltz, has reportedly built up a position in the consumer goods giant, which makes Dove soap.
- BUSINESS CLOSE: FTSE 100 dives 2.6%on January 24, 2022 at 5:07 pm
The FTSE 100’s losses gathered pace through the day, with the leading UK stock market index closing down 2.6 per cent, or 197 points, at 7,297.1.
- M&G launches social diversity and inclusion fundon January 24, 2022 at 2:55 pm
The M&G (Lux) Diversity and Inclusion Fund will be managed by Thembeka Stemela Dagbo (pictured) and will have a portfolio of between 30 and 40 stocks.
- SMALL CAP SHARE IDEAS: Genflow Bioscienceson January 24, 2022 at 2:54 pm
Genflow’s focus is on the Sirtuin 6 gene, or SIRT6 for short, which is seen as the ‘master regulator of healthy ageing’.
- Vauxhall Corsa review: Behind the wheel of Britain’s new king of carson January 24, 2022 at 2:01 pm
The Vauxhall Corsa is now the top selling car in the UK, but is it better than a Fiesta? Cars & motoring editor Rob Hull puts it to the test.
- LV customer gets £450 renewal quote, then finds SAME policy for £310on January 24, 2022 at 1:53 pm
When Richard Ansell received notification of his new premium, he was shocked – a 15 per cent increase, so he decided to turn detective.
- I lost £9,000 to a parcel text scam, why won’t my banks pay it back?on January 24, 2022 at 10:51 am
Emma Spencer fell foul of the scam after receiving a text, supposedly from Royal Mail, claiming a parcel couldn’t be delivered unless she paid a £2 fee.
- WAVERTON REAL ASSETS FUND: Fund is building block for portfolioson January 24, 2022 at 10:47 am
It considers itself a steady eddie, delivering a respectable income and capital return through thick and thin.
- Vodafone targets Three as it fends off predatorson January 24, 2022 at 10:36 am
Vodafone held talks late last year with Asian conglomerate CK Hutchison, owner of Three UK, about buying its rival.
- MIDAS SHARE TIPS UPDATE: Keywords Studios rises 17-foldon January 24, 2022 at 10:34 am
Shareholders needing to find some cash as tax and credit card bills loom may choose to reduce their holdings. Others should keep the faith.
- MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Hargreaves Services turns in a 5% yieldon January 24, 2022 at 10:31 am
Recent years have undoubtedly been harsh for Hargreaves Services but the business has now been transformed. At £4.00, the shares are a buy.
- Can I get a state pension credit for when I couldn’t work during Covid?on January 24, 2022 at 9:39 am
I tried to sign on to claim state pension credits (anticipating gaps) but the DWP automatically closed my claim down when I tried to do this online.
- Crackdown on second home and holiday let tax dodgerson January 24, 2022 at 9:33 am
Following anger from locals, the government will require second home owners to prove their property is rented for 70 days a year to get small business tax relief.
- Online pet food firm PetLab may sell for £100mon January 24, 2022 at 8:57 am
City sources said the owner of upmarket PetLab – Chris Masanto – is working with adviser Raymond James on a ‘strategic review’, which could lead to a sale.
- RUTH SUNDERLAND: Go woke? Time to wake upon January 24, 2022 at 8:52 am
As Larry Fink implies, some causes branded woke today will be viewed in future as right and just.
- Private equity buys £11.9bn worth of European oil and gas businesseson January 24, 2022 at 8:52 am
UK businesses made up five of the 12 deals completed in Europe, totalling around £2.4billion, according to research from law firm Mayer Brown.
- Legal & General boss criticises Government’s levelling up effortson January 24, 2022 at 8:51 am
L&G’s Rebuilding Britain Index showed that in 12 months there had been declines in healthcare and housing access, but less unemployment.
- Get a larger mortgage if you’ve got a greener home, says Halifaxon January 24, 2022 at 8:44 am
Halifax’s ‘green test’ means the lender will examine whether buyers of ‘green’ homes may have extra disposable income because their energy bills will be lower.
- Aviva’s bold plan to return £5BN to its shareholderson January 24, 2022 at 8:42 am
The board of the FTSE 100 insurer is finalising a blueprint for the payout which will get the sign-off next month.
- Financial Conduct Authority gets tough on high-risk cryptocurrency advertson January 24, 2022 at 8:40 am
Adverts for cryptocurrencies will be treated in the same way as other financial promotions, the watchdog now says.
- JEFF PRESTRIDGE: Inflation is a pest… so banks must help saverson January 24, 2022 at 8:39 am
They don’t seem to care about customers’ financial wellbeing – even when they have the perfect opportunity to give savers a little more. Disgraceful.
- UK dividends set for subdued 2022 after last year’s dramatic recoveryon January 24, 2022 at 8:35 am
Dividends from UK-listed firms jumped by 46 per cent to £94.1billion, according to the latest UK Dividend Monitor from Link Group.
- Can you build back better by investing in Britain’s housebuilders?on January 24, 2022 at 8:23 am
Taylor Wimpey, Barratt Developments, Bellway, Persimmon and Berkeley Group are all worth less than they were a year ago.
- What can GameStop mavericks teach you about investing?on January 24, 2022 at 8:20 am
While its share price has now settled after crashing back down again, the GameStop share frenzy has had a lasting impact that reverberates to this day.
- TV presenter Dame Esther Rantzen ialks to ME & MY MONEYon January 24, 2022 at 8:18 am
Me & My Money: Journalist, campaigner and TV presenter Dame Esther Rantzen would increase wages for care workers if she were made Chancellor.
- A Royal treasure but will you be coining it in with new 50p?on January 24, 2022 at 8:13 am
A new set of 50p pieces will be put into circulation while Royal anniversary gold sovereigns will also be released in limited numbers.
- TONY HETHERINGTON: I lost my purse, now I could lose dream homeon January 24, 2022 at 8:12 am
After much correspondence, the loan was cancelled, but when I applied for a mortgage, NatWest said my credit record was unacceptable.
- I ordered 6 wine bottles but got 5 and lost a Sainsbury’s 25% off dealon January 24, 2022 at 7:49 am
Supermarkets and customers love ‘25% off wine for 6 bottles or more’ offers but where do you stand when not all six arrive.
- I’m fitting solar panels, but can’t get the right smart meteron January 24, 2022 at 7:44 am
I’m in the process of having solar panels and a storage battery installed but am struggling to get a second generation smart meter and an affordable night time tariff. Can you help?
- Vin Murria sweetens her offer for M&C Saatchion January 23, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Murria, who is the company’s largest shareholder, is attempting to take it private through a tie-up with investment firm AdvancedAdvT.
- Dividend payments surged more than 46% last yearon January 23, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Firms paid £94.1billion in dividends in 2021, similar to mid-2017 levels, according to tech firm Link Group.
- How can young adults get themselves out of debt?on January 23, 2022 at 3:39 pm
The number of 16-24-year-olds contacting the FOS for debt help has risen sharply. We explain how to get your finances back on track.
- STOCKS TO WATCH: AstraZeneca first in line for NHS Covid booster?on January 23, 2022 at 11:09 am
Industry sources say AstraZeneca is closing in on a contract with the Government to buy significant supplies of its drug Evusheld.
- AFC Wimbledon bond paying interest of 6% to tackle loanon January 23, 2022 at 11:05 am
The League One football club, which is owned by the fans, wants to raise money to repay a bridging loan for the development of its stadium.
- Top Unilever investor attacks boss Alan Jopeon January 23, 2022 at 11:03 am
Bert Flossbach urged chief executive Alan Jope to stick to improving performance rather than chasing costly deals.
- Manchester Utd chief backs Myleene Klass meal delivery start-upon January 23, 2022 at 10:58 am
Ed Woodward has contributed to a seed funding round for My Supper Hero. Klass and Barber launched the business late last year.
- Row over All Saints ownership revealed in court documentson January 23, 2022 at 10:55 am
Court documents show Stanford contacted private equity fund Lion Capital, claiming ‘rightful ownership’ of 62 per cent of the shares.
- HAMISH MCRAE: Has common sense investing prevailed?on January 23, 2022 at 10:54 am
Has the great rotation begun? That’s the phrase given to the idea that investors will switch out of the shares of high-tech companies, and back into the solid corporations.
- Aston Martin may ask investors for more cash for fourth timeon January 23, 2022 at 10:28 am
James Congdon, who runs the Quest research unit at broker Canaccord Genuity, said Aston Martin’s equity does look ‘vulnerable’.
- John Lewis makes pledge to unjabbed staffon January 23, 2022 at 10:26 am
A string of retailers including Next and Ocado have introduced policies which limit sick pay for unjabbed employees who have to self-isolate.
- Viasat boss: We can be trusted with secrets in Inmarsat dealon January 23, 2022 at 10:24 am
Baldridge is coming to London for a charm offensive with media and officials examining the deal, which is its biggest ever takeover.
- Energy firms were mocked for their tips to stay warm, was it fair?on January 23, 2022 at 9:32 am
Armed with a thermal imaging camera, Toby put their tips to the test at his drafty home where he spends £3,000 a year keeping it vaguely warm.
- Avant boss Mark Mitchell goes in housing shake-upon January 22, 2022 at 11:03 pm
Mark Mitchell has resigned from his role running Avant Homes, which was bought by Fairburn’s Berkeley DeVeer with backing from US hedge fund Elliott.
- Challenger bank Shawbrook sets ball rolling on £2bn saleon January 22, 2022 at 10:54 pm
The lender, which is owned by BC Partners and Pollen Street Capital, has also started discussions with other investors about possibly taking a stake.
- RAY MASSEY drives fourth-generation Skoda Fabiaon January 22, 2022 at 8:21 pm
I’ve been driving one ahead of first deliveries to remind myself how far the Czech marque has come in the two decades since its launch.
- Boss of London Metal Exchange Matthew Chamberlain leavingon January 22, 2022 at 8:46 am
Matthew Chamberlain will step down from the City institution at the end of April to run an obscure crypto-currency startup.
- London IPO better for Arm, says co-founderon January 22, 2022 at 8:45 am
Hermann Hauser said that Arm could list as a standalone company with some of its largest customers taking stakes.
- Rolls-Royce fires starting gun on finding replacement for Warren Easton January 22, 2022 at 8:45 am
Chairman Anita Frew has begun drawing up a list of successors for East, who has led the most prestigious name in British engineering since 2015.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Oil stirs troubled waters on equity marketson January 22, 2022 at 8:43 am
In the US, the Nasdaq has fallen 10 per cent since the start of the year. And there were big pre-weekend falls on Europe’s exchanges.
- Antonio Horta-Osorio Britain’s Covid rules twice last summeron January 22, 2022 at 8:42 am
The former boss of Lloyds Bank had a weekend of sporting fun in July, when he should have been at home isolating due to travel restrictions.
- Serbia scraps Rio Tinto mine after protests from activistson January 22, 2022 at 8:41 am
Ministers bowed to pressure after protests from green groups and ordinary citizens, who claimed the mine would wreak environmental destruction.
- Here’s how to profit from the future of the interneton January 22, 2022 at 8:39 am
So certain is Mark Zuckerberg of the potential of the next phase of the internet that Facebook, the company he founded and leads, is known as Meta Platforms.
- SINCE YOU ASK: We explain stock market terminology – SPACSon January 22, 2022 at 8:36 am
A Spac is a special purpose acquisition vehicle, an ’empty shell’ company floated on a stock exchange.
- MARKET REPORT: Oil stocks sink on Russia-Ukraine tensionon January 22, 2022 at 8:35 am
There are worries that an invasion will result in sanctions, which could impact supplies of Russian oil and gas to the wider market.
- Investor attention turns to Microsoft’s second-quarter resultson January 22, 2022 at 8:34 am
Microsoft is predicted to report income for the period of around $17.5billion and revenues of about $50.9billion.
- Frankie & Benny’s owner TRG raises profit forecaston January 21, 2022 at 6:40 pm
The company’s trading update in November saw it hike its adjusted underlying earnings guidance for 2021 to between £73million and £79million following a market-beating recovery.
- Bentley powers to an eco-friendly future with new Flying Spur Hybridon January 21, 2022 at 5:38 pm
Bentley’s Flying Spur Hybrid is a petrol-electric plug-in hybrid that marks an important early step in the car-maker’s drive towards electrification.
- BUSINESS LIVE: Retail sales slump; FCA drops M&C Saatchi investigationon January 21, 2022 at 5:06 pm
The FTSE 100 has closed down 1.2 per cent at 7,494.1, posting its first weekly decline since mid-December, while the FTSE 250 has ended the day 2 per cent lower at 22,263.24.
- OnTheMarket revenues to beat expectations after strong second-halfon January 21, 2022 at 4:34 pm
The estate-agent owned website, which is looking to disrupt Rightmove’s dominance, also forecast to make a profit in both the half and full-year, instead of just breakeven as it said in October.
- Bitcoin price plummets to five-month lowon January 21, 2022 at 4:11 pm
Bitcoin has dipped below $40k as investors dumped cryptocurrencies amid a wider tech selloff as investors prepare for an interest rate hike.
- SMALL CAP MOVERS: Best of the Best slumps after profit warningon January 21, 2022 at 3:59 pm
2020, when Best of the Best was one of the year’s best performers, seems a long time ago as the weekly online competitions firm saw its shares slump 34 per cent.
- UK battery gigafactory lands £1.7bn of funding from Abrdn and Tritaxon January 21, 2022 at 1:35 pm
Britishvolt’s facility in Blyth, Northumberland, will create 3,000 UK jobs and build the fuel cells needed for 300,000 electric car batteries.
- Kia’s £41,000 electric EV6 is What Car?’s Car of the Year 2022on January 21, 2022 at 12:37 pm
Judges said the EV6 was the unanimous winner having ‘stood out for setting new benchmarks for electric cars’ from when it hit the market late last year.
- What age is best to start inheritance tax planning?on January 21, 2022 at 11:55 am
People 70s-plus often put off thinking about giving money away to their children when they were younger, but by then there is not much time left, explains Osbornes Law.
- Electric car charging network grows 37% but North-South divide growson January 21, 2022 at 10:41 am
London benefitted from a faster expansion of its infrastructure, with 102 devices per 100k population, while areas like the North West have just 24 per 100k.
- UK businesses rocked by biggest drop in monthly sales since April 2020on January 21, 2022 at 9:42 am
The spread of the Omicron variant has left many UK companies nursing a drop in sales in December, but there are signs the economy is picking up again this month.
- Women’s underpaid state pensions: How to find out if you’re affectedon January 21, 2022 at 9:33 am
The £1billion underpaid state pensions scandal has seen women miss out on pensions they are due, we explain how to find out if you are owed money.
- Blunder saw my Eon energy bill jump from £78 to £1,839 a monthon January 21, 2022 at 9:28 am
A 78-year-old Eon customer saw her monthly energy bill surge from £78 a month to over £1,800 per month for December 2021 and January 2022.
- Entain tightens profit forecast as online gambling boom falterson January 21, 2022 at 7:32 am
The Ladbrokes and PartyPoker owner forecasts making between £875million and £885million in underlying earnings for the 2021 financial year.
- State pension scandal is a ‘shameful shambles’, say MPson January 21, 2022 at 12:21 am
MPs accuse the DWP of showing ‘litte interest’ in helping women suddenly receiving large backpayments with the knock-on effects, like cuts to benefits or financial assistance with care bills.
- A complacent DWP failed people in state pension fiasco, says MPon January 21, 2022 at 12:02 am
After hearing from the DWP, many members of the committee remained concerned that the human cost of this organisational disaster still wasn’t fully appreciated, says SNP MP Peter Grant,
- Amount withdrawn from cash machines falls even further in 2021on January 21, 2022 at 12:01 am
People are continuing to use less cash after new figures revealed the number of ATM withdrawals fell 6% annually.
- Shell chief blasts Dutch ruling on climate change as ‘a body blow’ on January 20, 2022 at 11:08 pm
Ben van Beurden (pictured) said it was ‘deeply troubling’ that the oil giant was being singled out for the way the world uses energy.
- Wall Street bankers enjoy a £104bn pay bonanzaon January 20, 2022 at 11:08 pm
JP Morgan Chase, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, Bank of America and Citigroup collectively doled out over £104bn in pay and benefits in 2021.
- Rishi Sunak vows to help businesses battle the inflation crisison January 20, 2022 at 11:07 pm
The Chancellor said he was ‘looking at lots of things’ to support companies and households as they battle with soaring energy costs.
- Eddie Jordan pulls out of £3bn bidding war for Playtech on January 20, 2022 at 11:07 pm
The 73-year-old Irish businessman’s consortium JKO Play had been planning to offer 750p per share for the FTSE 250 group, valuing it at around £3bn.
- Jope on the ropes: Star fund manger Terry Smith bashes Unilever bosson January 20, 2022 at 10:55 pm
Fund manager Terry Smith (pictured) has taken a second pop at Unilever in as many weeks, accusing its bosses of playing ‘gin rummy management’.
- Primark to axe 400 store managers to cut costs as sales remain lowon January 20, 2022 at 10:44 pm
The High Street discount retailer, which employs some 29,000 staff, will cut the roles from its 191 UK stores in response to rising cost pressures.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Tech mega deals threaten higher prices and less choiceon January 20, 2022 at 10:44 pm
The accumulation of market power by the digital giants is frightening. Yet US politicians show no inclination to embrace anti-trust crusading.
- MARKET REPORT: Deliveroo shares lifted by lockdown takeawayson January 20, 2022 at 10:21 pm
The food delivery firm’s shares rose 1.4%, or 2.4p, to 172p after it flagged a 42% rise in orders to 80.8m in the fourth quarter of 2021.
- Steven Bartlett interview: This is Money podcaston January 20, 2022 at 6:33 pm
In this interview with Simon Lambert, Steven tells us his story, how he got ahead and his tips for anyone else wanting to start a business.
- AJ Bell’s trading platform nears 400,000 customerson January 20, 2022 at 5:16 pm
About 15,300 new clients joined the online investment platform between October and December, taking its total customer base to 398,066.
- Record number of motorists returning to classrooms to escape pointson January 20, 2022 at 11:41 am
Of all the driver retraining courses attended last year, 86 per cent were speed awareness sessions offered to those motorists who have been caught exceeding a limit.
- Car insurance prices rise 7% in three months as drivers get back on the roadon January 20, 2022 at 9:02 am
After a major drop in car insurance prices at the start of 2021, prices have been on an upward trend – adding to the cost of living pressures facing many households.
- Rics: House prices will keep rising as buyers outweigh sellerson January 20, 2022 at 8:22 am
Enquiries from buyers looking to move on or up the property ladder increased in December, but homes on estate agents’ books remain low, Rics said.
Thursday, January 27, 2022