- Bank of England heads to Leeds: Old Lady unveils plan for northern hubon April 22, 2021 at 1:16 am
The decision to move parts of the Bank to Leeds comes after the Government last month announced plans to open an UK infrastructure bank in the city and a Treasury outpost in Darlington.
- Subscriber slowdown wipes £11bn off Netflix as pandemic boom ends on April 22, 2021 at 1:15 am
The company, which is behind hits such as Bridgerton (pictured) and The Crown, saw its stock fall by as much as 8 per cent after trading began yesterday.
- Cheers! Shepherd Neame pubs toast best week everon April 22, 2021 at 1:15 am
Drinkers rushing back for their first pint after lockdown eased pushed sales at the majority of the pub company’s 200 venues that reopened on April 12 in line with, or above, 2019 levels.
- Fight between restaurants and insurers over lockdown payouts heats upon April 22, 2021 at 1:14 am
Corbin & King, which owns The Wolseley, and Inception Group, the owner of Bunga Bunga, believe they should have been paid business interruption insurance during the lockdowns.
- Record number of firms on the brink in the first quarter of the yearon April 22, 2021 at 1:14 am
In the third lockdown, 93,000 firms’ finances weakened to the point of ‘significant financial distress’, according to the ‘red flag alert’ report by insolvency experts Begbies Traynor.
- ALEX BRUMMER: The ESL coup has failed but the economics remain the sameon April 22, 2021 at 1:14 am
Failed takeovers and mergers aren’t uncommon in finance so the collapse of the European Super League, an attempt by big clubs to supplant the game’s existing powers, is not that unusual.
- Pensionbee buzzes onto London stock exchangeon April 22, 2021 at 1:13 am
The savings firm launched at 165p a share, giving the seven-year-old firm a value of £365m and valuing founder Romi Savova’s (pictured with co-founder Jonathan Lister Parsons) stake at £132m.
- Liberty Steel seeks financial lifeline from the government with 3,000 UK jobs at riskon April 22, 2021 at 1:13 am
Liberty, the UK’s third-largest steel group, has been on the brink since Greensill Capital, the biggest lender to Liberty owner Sanjeev Gupta (pictured), collapsed in early March.
- Demand for private jets takes off as rich prepare for summer of travelon April 22, 2021 at 1:12 am
Air Partner said new UK customers have added £750,000 worth of deposits to their accounts with the company in February and March. It saw a 15 per cent rise in sales and renewals of its jet travel cards.
- Higher petrol and clothes prices fuel inflationon April 22, 2021 at 1:12 am
The tailing-off of winter discounting lifted the price of fashion, while a rise in the cost of petrol added to inflation for the first time since February 2020, according to the Office for National Statistics.
- MARKET REPORT: Shares go stale in food fight at Just Eat and Deliverooon April 22, 2021 at 1:12 am
Just Eat tumbled after rival Uber announced it would launch in Germany, which would break the FTSE 100 company’s stranglehold on the German market. The threat to Just Eat shaved 2.7 per cent off its shares.
- Shares in Manchester United dive after European Super League debacleon April 21, 2021 at 8:51 pm
The stock market falls come after English clubs pulled their support for a Super League, which would have seen 12 top teams from Europe form a midweek competition.
- Aggreko deal in the balance as top investor leads the revolton April 21, 2021 at 8:50 pm
Liontrust Asset Management voted against the sale, it has been reported. The decision comes after critics warned that the takeover was the latest example of ‘pandemic plundering’.
- Argo Blockchain’s share price climbs as it declares deal to build new crypto-mining facilityon April 21, 2021 at 8:13 pm
It means the company’s share price is now valued at more than 4,000 per cent higher than at the same time last year when it was trading at less than 5p.
- VW’s electric ID.4 SUV crowned World Car of the Year 2021on April 21, 2021 at 6:24 pm
The ID.4, which has a range of up to 323 miles and costs from £41,570, was voted the winner by a jury of 93 international journalists from 28 countries who agreed it is the standout car of 2021.
- Using chip fat to replace fossil fuel for cars is not sustainable, says reporton April 21, 2021 at 4:23 pm
Nearly half of the used cooking oil supplied to the UK last year came from China, with 224million tonnes being imported, says green transport campaign group, Transport & Environment.
- SCOTTISH AMERICAN INVESTMENT: Trust keeps its dividendon April 21, 2021 at 2:27 pm
Last year, Scottish American Investment Trust increased its dividend payout above the rate of inflation for the 47th consecutive year.
- MIDAS SHARE TIPS: Ricardo is helping turn the US army greenon April 21, 2021 at 2:26 pm
British engineering group Ricardo is helping the US defence department to make its Hummers safer by installing devices that keep the trucks stable.
- MIDAS SHARE TIPS UPDATE: Victoria carpet tip has soft landingon April 21, 2021 at 2:25 pm
Midas recommended Victoria at the equivalent of £2.76 in March 2016 and suggested investors hold their nerve as the stock plunged in 2018. Now, at £8.80, the shares are back in clover.
- Ferrari reveals its new 200mph supercar – but, for now, it has no nameon April 21, 2021 at 2:06 pm
Powered by a naturally-aspirated V12 engine it unleashes 830 horsepower and promises ‘a sensation of endless power and performance’, says Ferrari,.
- Henry Ford II’s 1981 Capri is set to fetch up to £35,000 at UK auctionon April 21, 2021 at 12:22 pm
The car was created for the eldest grandson of Henry Ford, who was also president of Ford Motor Company from 1945 to 1960. It is a one-off model created by Ford’s special vehicle department.
- Cash savings websites offer huge rates booston April 21, 2021 at 11:31 am
Cash savings websites have become increasingly popular among starved savers. But City watchdogs warned last week that firms are not being clear enough about exactly how these services work.
- ONS: House prices up £20k in a year as transactions DOUBLEDon April 21, 2021 at 11:27 am
House prices increased 8.6% in the year to February, marking the highest annual rate of growth since 2014, the ONS said.
- Rap music and coffee improves driver reaction times, study sayson April 21, 2021 at 10:25 am
On average, the experiment found that women are faster at spotting hazards, responding 690 milliseconds faster than men.
- How to make better coffee than a barista for less cashon April 21, 2021 at 10:22 am
With a few low-cost gadgets and know-how, you can become a ‘home barista’ and make a brew hopefully more sublime than one made by a professional.
- ASK TONY: Our £17k horror after my cousin died without leaving a willon April 21, 2021 at 9:18 am
My 59-year-old cousin died suddenly last July without leaving a will. He never married, nor did he have any siblings, a legal partnership or children. He lived all of his life with his mother.
- More misery for embattled savers with rates at an all-time lowon April 21, 2021 at 9:02 am
Savers have the choice of just 1,340 accounts while average rates have fallen yet again. The average easy access account now paying 0.16 per cent, against 0.51 per cent a year ago.
- Home loan for LESS than 1%: Are we in for a mortgage price war?on April 21, 2021 at 8:58 am
Hinckley & Rugby Building Society launched a two-year discount variable mortgage at 0.99 per cent, while a raft of state-backed 95 per cent mortgages have gone live.
- The offshore tax crackdown: HMRC targets Britons making money abroadon April 21, 2021 at 8:31 am
Armed with new international tax data and tougher penalty powers, HM Revenue & Customs is understood to have sent out tens of thousands of warning letters to Britons making money abroad.
- Why energy suppliers owe YOU £1.4bn (and how you can get it back)on April 21, 2021 at 8:31 am
As the weather warms up, gas and electricity bills are falling across the nation. But many households are owed hundreds, even thousands, of pounds after paying too much for their power.
- Forget the shares, can PensionBee sweeten YOUR retirement?on April 21, 2021 at 8:27 am
The Pensionbee app, founded by former banker Romi Savova (pictured), has been praised by some personal finance experts for its user-friendly interface and simple fee structure.
- British Gas promises to do better over Homecare appointments fiasco on April 21, 2021 at 8:15 am
Homecare policyholders say they had been unable to get appointments for repairs in good time, despite spending hundreds of pounds on the boiler cover plans each year.
- FCA raises the alarm over crypto bets frenzyon April 21, 2021 at 8:14 am
Financial Conduct Authority chief Nikhil Rathi (pictured) told investors – particularly the young – to avoid the crypto craze amid the soaring popularity of the likes of bitcoin.
- The pandemic is killing plastic: Barclaycard caps are the final strawon April 21, 2021 at 8:14 am
Credit card provider Barclaycard is facing a mass exodus of loyal customers after suddenly slashing the credit limits of more than 100,000 customers by as much as 99 per cent.
- Scam victim who lost nearly £10,000 received just £1.27 backon April 21, 2021 at 8:12 am
The woman was tricked into transferring £9,970 to a fraudster posing as HM Revenue & Customs last month. In the first three months of this year alone 156,522 scam calls have been reported to HMRC.
- BEN WILKINSON: Barclaycard’s sweeping credit cuts may cost it dearlyon April 21, 2021 at 8:08 am
Surely credit card companies want us to spend? You’d think providers would be licking their lips in anticipation after economists predicted a multi-billion pound post-lockdown spending spree.
- Barclaycard under pressure to reverse credit limit cuts for steady customerson April 21, 2021 at 7:51 am
Barclaycard customers have called on the provider to change its mind over its heavy-handed cutting of credit limits of cardholders whose financial circumstances have improved over the last year
- Can I close my new stock & shares Isa and start a another one?on April 21, 2021 at 7:34 am
hat happens if I just close the account and open another Isa now? I funded the Freetrade Isa with £1,000, which at the moment is still in there.
- Arm could return to London’s stock market if Nvidia deal falls throughon April 21, 2021 at 1:14 am
There is a mounting shortage of computer chips worldwide, with some analysts now suggesting that A|rm owner Softbank may find it easier – and more lucrative – to re-list on in London.
- IN THE MONEY: Next boss Simon Wolfson sees pay rise by a thirdon April 21, 2021 at 1:13 am
Simon Wolfson, who has run Britain’s largest fashion retailer since 2001, earned £3.4m in 2020, up from £2.6m in 2019. His pay last year included a £2.4m bonus.
- Botched audits costing Britain billions of pounds, economist warns on April 21, 2021 at 1:13 am
Accountancy firms are costing workers, suppliers and the economy billions of pounds, according to a report by Carsten Jung, senior economist at the Institute for Public Policy Research think tank.
- Exxon Mobil plan to bury carbon emissions under the Gulf of Mexicoon April 21, 2021 at 1:11 am
Exxon plans to use chemicals to collect carbon in the air emitted by plants along the Houston Ship Channel (pictured) and store it in former oil and gas reservoirs beneath the ocean floor.
- Ministers launch probe into Football Index collapseon April 21, 2021 at 12:00 am
The self-styled ‘football stock market’ is believed to be the biggest failure of a gambling business in British history. The Gambling Commission was accused of being asleep at the wheel.
- Watchdog warns £6.8bn Asda takeover could hit motorists in the pocket on April 20, 2021 at 9:11 pm
The Competition and Markets Authority said the sale of Britain’s third-largest supermarket to the Issa brothers (pictured) raised concerns about the cost of fuel in many areas of the country.
- He’s back! Ex-Persimmon boss Fairburn moves in on Avant Homeson April 20, 2021 at 9:08 pm
Jeff Fairburn’s plans to create ‘one of the UK’s leading housebuilders’ has set tongues wagging. The former Persimmon boss left the company three years ago after a backlash over his £82m bonus.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Enforcers in the spotlight over the Greensill collapseon April 20, 2021 at 9:07 pm
Better late than never. It took immense political focus on the crass lobbying activities of David Cameron for up to seven separate probes into Greensill to be triggered.
- Top investor backs Glaxo boss Emma Walmsley boss in fight with Elliotton April 20, 2021 at 9:05 pm
The shareholder, which declined to be named, said Walmsley should be ‘given time’ to push through a shake-up at the pharmaceuticals group and dismissed suggestions of her removal.
- MARKET REPORT: Tobacco investors burnt by US nicotine cap planson April 20, 2021 at 9:04 pm
British American Tobacco and Imperial Brands dropped after media reports said the Biden administration was mulling rules that remove so much nicotine that smoking is no longer addictive.
- Dogecoin price rises 400% over last weekon April 20, 2021 at 7:15 pm
Dogecoin’s price shot up over 400 per cent over the last week to sit at $0.41 today, just a few cents shy of its all-time high of $0.43, which it hit on Friday.
- UK outsourcer Equiniti sold to Siris Capital in £624m dealon April 20, 2021 at 7:13 pm
Siris Capital said it was offering 170p per share for the back-office support company, its fifth approach so far. Equiniti refused to discuss the previous four.
- Electric car chargers offer 9% return: Green return or high risk bond?on April 20, 2021 at 5:10 pm
Iduna plans to install 50 new chargers by raising £4million via the investment platform Abundance, which specialises in environmental and social projects.
- Hammerson has received only 40% of second quarter renton April 20, 2021 at 4:24 pm
Hammerson said only 40 per cent of total rent payments had been received by them, including 48 per cent in its UK division, around a third in Ireland, and just 23 per cent in France.
- HSBC boosts its £125 current account switching offer with Uber Eats voucheron April 20, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Current account users considering a change will be tempted this week by HSBC’s improved switching offer.
- Relief for trapped savers as M&G reopens property fund after 18 monthson April 20, 2021 at 3:44 pm
M&G said it now has ‘suitable liquidity’ for client withdrawals, as well for those who want to remain invested, having reduced the portfolio’s risk.
- Covid infection fears will ‘drive a deadly surge in toxic car use’ around school gateson April 20, 2021 at 1:49 pm
Almost one in four school leaders polled in a recent study believe that concerns about new waves of coronavirus infections will drive increased car usage among parents.
- Guy Hands buys Kier’s housebuilding arm Kier Living in £110m dealon April 20, 2021 at 1:12 pm
Government contractor Kier announced the deal on Friday, saying it had agreed to sell its Keir Living business to a newly formed company called Foster BidCo owned by the billionaire investor.
- Nationwide lets first-time buyers borrow 20% MORE – if they lock mortgage rate for five years on April 20, 2021 at 12:56 pm
The scheme, called ‘Helping Hand,’ will be launched on 26 April. Borrowers will need a deposit of at least 10 per cent, the minimum Nationwide requires across all its products.
- Is it possible to power our garden office with solar panels on its roof?on April 20, 2021 at 12:05 pm
We are looking at building an shed office at the end of our garden – but we want it to be eco-friendly. Can we put solar panels on its roof, and do we need planning permission?
- RAC says icy winter triggered a record rise in pothole breakdownson April 20, 2021 at 8:10 am
Almost 4,700 motorists called the RAC due to their after hitting a pothole between January and March 2021 – the equivalent of 52 call-outs for damage a day.
- Drivers see biggest drop in car insurance costs in 6 yearson April 20, 2021 at 7:46 am
The average cost of car insurance in the UK dropped by £87 – equivalent to 14 per cent – in 12 months, according to data from Confused.com.
- Could your mortgage holiday stop you getting a loan in future?on April 20, 2021 at 7:45 am
Some borrowers took mortgage holidays as a ‘nice to have’ – but now they face extra questions and increased scrutiny from lenders when applying for a new loan.
- The house I’m buying has been ‘down-valued’ by the mortgage lender. What do I do?on April 20, 2021 at 7:42 am
I had an offer accepted on my dream home – but the mortgage lender now says it is worth less than what I have agreed to pay. What should someone do in this position?
- It’s Britcoin! Treasury launches task force into digital currencyon April 20, 2021 at 7:03 am
Promoting the news on Twitter, chancellor Rishi Sunak (pictured) said the country will ‘need to go further’ to retain its position as one of the most technologically advanced financial centres.
- $5.4TRILLION has been saved up by consumers, says Moody’son April 19, 2021 at 10:09 pm
The credit ratings firm added that if people were to spend $1.8trillion of that stockpiled cash, they could boost the global economy in 2021 and 2022 by another two percentage points.
- Will Pensionbee’s float create a buzz and should you buy in?on April 19, 2021 at 9:03 pm
Online pension provider Pensionbee makes its market debut this week. Founder and chief exec Romi Savova (pictured) set up the business after finding it hard to transfer her pension.
- UK intervenes in £29bn takeover of chip maker Arm amid security fearson April 19, 2021 at 8:54 pm
Arm’s chip designs are ubiquitous in digital devices across the globe, with the Government warning they also underpin critical UK infrastructure and defence technology.
- Melrose to plug GKN pension with £100mon April 19, 2021 at 8:51 pm
The payment will reduce the deficit at the engineering stalwart, which Melrose bought in a bitter £8.1bn hostile takeover in 2018, to £200m. The pension scheme has around 32,000 members.
- Victims of the LC&F scandal to share £120m compensation fundon April 19, 2021 at 8:50 pm
More than 11,600 people were left high and dry when London Capital & Finance, which was founded by Simon Hume-Kendall (pictured with wife Helen), tumbled into administration in 2019.
- MARKET REPORT: Shopping frenzy helps to keep Footsie above 7000on April 19, 2021 at 8:50 pm
Britons were out spending with a vengeance last week when non-essential stores were allowed to reopen with footfall across the UK up by almost 90 per cent compared with the previous seven days.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Bring on the Super Leagueon April 19, 2021 at 8:50 pm
The Premier League, FIFA, UEFA and other objectors have enjoyed the fruits of the big bucks for too long and hate the idea of a commercial challenger breaking up the oligopoly.
- Treasury to hand £120m compensation to London Capital & Finance investorson April 19, 2021 at 4:43 pm
The Treasury will pay four fifths of an original investment up to a cap of £68,00 to people not already receiving payouts from the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
- Barclaycard tries to defend slashing credit card limits of loyal customerson April 19, 2021 at 4:33 pm
One longstanding Barclaycard customer saw his limit cut from £11,000 to £300, while another’s was slashed from £8,500 to £1,000 without any checks on their finances.
- The best global clean energy ETFs for UK investors and battery technology tracker funds comparedon April 19, 2021 at 3:56 pm
These are trackers with a focus on ‘solution providers’. In other words, sectors and companies that are actively engaged in the transition to clean energy and other environmental initiatives.
- Is this the car that’s killing off the Mondeo? Ford unveils Evos crossover in Chinaon April 19, 2021 at 3:37 pm
The Evos, which was unveiled at the Shanghai Motor Show on Monday, is a large family crossover with a tech-laden interior, loads of cabin space and a name that was previewed a decade ago.
- Hope at last for thousands tangled in unfair equity release trapon April 19, 2021 at 2:27 pm
The UK’s largest equity release broker, Age Partnership, has pledged to look at all existing equity release loans to see whether borrowers can be switched to a better deal.
- Was the Coinbase listing bitcoin and crypto’s coming of age? TiM podcaston April 19, 2021 at 12:16 pm
We look at the Coinbase float and what it means for the crypto and investing world, plus lower risk stable investments instead of rubbish cash Isa rates and the Spac craze.
- Audi’s electric A6 e-tron concept has hi-tech headlights that beam video games onto wallson April 19, 2021 at 12:12 pm
In the event you get bored waiting for your Audi A6 e-tron to charge its batteries, instead of reading a newspaper you can play a video game in the car – and have it beamed onto a wall by the headlights.
- HAMISH MCRAE: We have reason to stay bullishon April 19, 2021 at 12:09 pm
Share prices are booming not only because the world economy is growing strongly. They are booming because we are in one of those heady bull markets, fuelled by the central banks.
- Neil Woodford and partner shared £1.5m payout before collapseon April 19, 2021 at 12:08 pm
The pair took out the generous dividends from Woodford Investment Management over April and May 2019, new accounts showed. But weeks later, in June, the fund was suspended.
- Which lenders are offering Government-backed 5% deposit mortgages – and what are the rates and fees?on April 19, 2021 at 11:42 am
First-time buyers and home movers will be able to get Government-backed mortgages with deposits of just 5 per cent with five major banks and building societies from today.
- Mercedes reveals its electric EQB 7-seat family SUV with a 260-mile rangeon April 19, 2021 at 11:15 am
Designed to be ‘compact on the outside, spacious on the inside’, the two seats in the third row can be used by people up to 5 ft 4 inches tall, and child seats can also be fitted there.
- Average asking prices jump sharply to new all-time high of over £327kon April 19, 2021 at 8:27 am
The average asking price of homes up for sale across Britain jumped over 2 per cent in a month, with buyers flocking to snap up properties with outdoor space and work from home options.
- Can I open a new stocks and shares Isa and continue paying into one I opened last year?on April 19, 2021 at 8:17 am
I have a stocks and shares Isa with an investing platform but would like to open another with a different provider. Is this allowed or is there a limit on how many I can pay into during one tax year?
- How can I boost my wife’s pension so we can retire at the same age?on April 19, 2021 at 8:16 am
My wife has sacrificed a portion of her career to raise our younger children. She does intend to go back to work but her pension contributions will be minus 10 years.
- TONY HETHERINGTON: Recover your money? Sorry, it’s fool’s goldon April 19, 2021 at 7:35 am
I am sending you a letter I received from Ruby Creek Gold in the US about reimbursement for investments made through Heritage Fine Assets. I am assuming it is another scam.
- Amanda Staveley starts Barclays damages appealon April 18, 2021 at 8:56 pm
A judgment found the bank ‘guilty of serious deceit’, but damages were not ordered because the court could not establish that Staveley’s firm PCP had suffered a loss due to Barclays’ wrongdoing.
- RUTH SUNDERLAND: Is PensionBee a honeypot?on April 18, 2021 at 8:50 pm
For most people, the issue is not whether or not to save with or invest in PensionBee, set up by Romi Savova (pictured), it is that they are simply saving too little.
- CBI boss will unveil new approach to the economyon April 18, 2021 at 8:50 pm
Danker believes the CBI became too political during Britain’s transition out of the EU and didn’t focus enough on the challenges that smaller and medium-sized enterprises would face after Brexit.
- Need your eyes tested? Book now, it may be freeon April 18, 2021 at 11:31 am
One in five Britons have delayed a test over Covid fears, according to a survey carried out by charity Fight for Sight.
- Three in four Britons don’t trust online bankingon April 18, 2021 at 11:30 am
Some 76 per cent said they ‘lack trust towards using their banking services online’, according to a survey by security software company SmartSearch.
- Vanguard slashes the price of financial adviceon April 18, 2021 at 11:30 am
Vanguard will charge 0.79 per cent a year for financial advice – including the cost of the investment funds and platform fee.
- RACHEL RICKARD STRAUS: Shoppers may know what experts don’ton April 18, 2021 at 11:29 am
Over the past year, stuck at home with little to spend their money on, UK households have managed to pile up an extra £180billion in savings. The question is, what happens next?
- Rev up your returns from mid-sized UK firms well placed to race awayon April 18, 2021 at 11:28 am
On Friday, the value of the UK’s mid-cap companies hit an all-time high. But their winning streak could have further to run, offering investors ample opportunity to benefit.
- Zoopla boss reveals his plan for a ‘CV’ for homeson April 18, 2021 at 11:28 am
Zoopla’s chief executive Charlie Bryant tells how his company is already pulling out the stops to invent new ways of simulating the housing market and feed Britain’s fascination with property.
- L&G chief calls on pension funds to help end housing crisison April 18, 2021 at 11:28 am
Nigel Wilson said pension funds are sitting on billions of pounds and should invest in projects to help resolve the housing shortage and to regenerate local communities.
- Office cleaning firm OCS in takeover talks with US private equity firmon April 18, 2021 at 11:27 am
It is understood that OCS is working with advisers from Lazard on ‘strategic options’, which could lead to a sale of a stake in the business.
- STOCKS WATCH: Will £1bn bid be winning formula for Elementis?on April 18, 2021 at 11:26 am
Elementis, one of Britain’s oldest chemical companies, has come under the spotlight amid talk it has attracted a fresh suitor mulling a £1billion takeover bid.
- Sanjeev Gupta paid £100,000 a month for flat in Belgravia he left emptyon April 18, 2021 at 11:26 am
Gupta was not even inhabiting the extraordinary property as he was asking for more public money, according to documents seen by The Mail on Sunday.
- Gupta’s Liberty Steel received grants even after Greensill probeon April 18, 2021 at 11:25 am
Documents seen by The Mail on Sunday show Innovate UK and the Welsh Government gave the money after the Treasury launched an investigation into Greensill on October 9.
- The Analyst warns Deliveroo could dive by another 40%on April 18, 2021 at 11:25 am
A damning report by an influential City firm has warned the value of loss-making Deliveroo could plummet by another £1.8billion, raising fears over how the company has been governed.
- Asda brothers snap up fast food chain Leon in £100m dealon April 18, 2021 at 11:24 am
Mohsin and Zuber Issa are understood to have agreed to buy the business, co-founded by Boris Johnson’s food tsar Henry Dimbleby, in the early hours yesterday.
- Domino’s Pizza faces shareholder revolt over executive pay riseson April 18, 2021 at 11:23 am
Both Glass Lewis and ISS have now red-flagged the chain’s plans to give chief executive Dominic Paul and finance chief Neil Smith ‘significant’ pay rises.
- William Hill delay attracts hedge fundson April 18, 2021 at 11:23 am
City sources said hedge funds betting on takeover deals, such as Melqart, Sand Grove and TIG, were paying £2.75 a share – more than Caesars has offered for the FTSE 250-listed bookmaker.
- Tribunal to hear claim of prejudice at Starlingon April 18, 2021 at 11:22 am
Gulnaz Raja, who was the bank’s deputy company secretary until last year, has also accused the start-up of trying to ‘intimidate her into not bringing her claim’, according to documents.
- Kirsten O’Brien: It’s been a tough year but my approach is still ‘buy the dress!’on April 18, 2021 at 11:21 am
BBC TV presenter Kirsten O’Brien says the past year has been the most financially challenging of her life. She spoke to Donna Ferguson.
- Amanda Staveley walked away from Greensill bailouton April 18, 2021 at 11:21 am
High-flying dealmaker Amanda Staveley abandoned a £600million bailout of Greensill Capital over fears the firm and its Government ties were becoming ‘toxic’, sources told The Mail on Sunday.
- Toby Jugs: The four Beatles mugs that sold for £6,000on April 17, 2021 at 10:22 pm
There are few things as quintessentially British as Toby Jugs. Since the 1700s, drinkers have collected them to celebrate the pleasure of sipping ales in pubs and homes across the country.
- Court showdown looms in bosses’ battle to reopen nightlife venueson April 17, 2021 at 9:28 pm
Hospitality bosses Hugh Osmond and Sacha Lord have stepped up their fight to overturn lockdown restrictions for pubs ahead of a High Court showdown this week.
- We drive the Dacia Sandero – cheapest new car in Britainon April 17, 2021 at 2:09 pm
Value for money is the order of the day as cost-conscious families tip-toe gently back into the new car market following the re-opening of showrooms.
- Astrazeneca boss Pascal Soriot to fly back from Australiaon April 17, 2021 at 10:15 am
Soriot, who has spent much of the pandemic at his family home Down Under, has irked investors and even some board members by refusing to come back to the UK since Christmas.
- Morgan Stanley suffers £660m loss from Archegos meltdownon April 17, 2021 at 7:53 am
The Wall Street bank took a beating along with several other lenders, including Credit Suisse and Nomura, when Archegos became unable to pay back the money it had borrowed.
- Netflix investors keen to know if streaming giant has hit targeton April 17, 2021 at 7:52 am
Netflix signed up 8.5m customers in the last three months of 2020 – bringing the total to 203.6m. But the surge in subscriptions last year was undoubtedly driven by the pandemic.
- MR MONEY MAKER: Spread bets by backing stock brokerson April 17, 2021 at 7:51 am
Founded in 1989 by the somewhat controversial figure of Peter Cruddas, he has built a very successful business serving both the private investor and some of the institutions.
- Boost your income amid a new dawn for dividendson April 17, 2021 at 7:49 am
But investors hoping for a return to the heady days of 2018 – when FTSE100 companies distributed a bounteous £85.2billion – should lower their expectations.
- State pension error that caused widows to lose £100k-plus happens againon April 17, 2021 at 7:45 am
An 80-year-old lost her husband last August, but though his state pension stopped immediately she was denied a rise from £87 to £209 a week for half a year.
- ALEX BRUMMER: Terrific that London is riding tech waveon April 17, 2021 at 7:43 am
Encouraged by the Stock Exchange, Lord Hill’s review into technology IPOs and the Chancellor’s enthusiasm for unicorns, this is a year when one expects the floats will continue to arrive.
- Pensionbee customers register to buy shares in firmon April 17, 2021 at 7:37 am
More than 12,000 savers, who use the online platform to manage their pension pot, have already taken up the option to buy a piece of the firm when it floats this month.
- MARKET REPORT: WH Smith to benefit from travel boomon April 17, 2021 at 7:35 am
Brokers say, it has done a good job at broadening its range to provide the odds and ends people taking a long trip want to stock up on.
- FTSE 100 powers through 7000 mark for first time in a yearon April 17, 2021 at 7:32 am
The last time the blue-chip index was above that milestone was in late February 2020 as investors were gauging the full magnitude of the coronavirus pandemic.
- Glaxo investor suggests chief boss’s days are numberedon April 17, 2021 at 7:28 am
One top-20 shareholder said Emma Walmsley may be forced out earlier than she might have planned as Elliott tries to boost the company’s flagging share price.
- Tempted to invest in shares? We get some expert tips for successon April 17, 2021 at 6:41 am
We explore what motivates individual share investors and what extra work is entailed if you’re interested in becoming more of an active hobbyist investor.
- Klarna clampdown: Regulation of buy now, pay later credit firms due within weekson April 17, 2021 at 6:40 am
Plans to regulate Britain’s booming buy now, pay later industry will be released within weeks, This is Money understands, after a review found it posed ‘a significant potential consumer harm’.
- Third of homes now subject to three-plus offers: Here’s how to win a bidding waron April 17, 2021 at 6:40 am
Almost a third of buyers are paying over the asking price for their properties, as the current demand to move has resulted in competitive bidding wars. But how do you win one? We asked the experts.
- Kent Reliance launches best buy 0.45% cash Isa after Marcus launchon April 16, 2021 at 4:06 pm
Kent Reliance this morning launched a best buy easy-access cash Isa as banks and building societies begin to react to Marcus Bank’s move 48 hours ago.
- ‘Lazy man’s eBay’ MusicMagpie set to float for £208mon April 16, 2021 at 3:52 pm
The Stockport-based business said it would plough the £15million it raises from the flotation, which is set to value them at £208million, into paying down debt and growing its smartphone rental division.
- Hinckley & Rugby BS launches mortgage with a LESS THAN 1% rateon April 16, 2021 at 2:39 pm
Hinckley & Rugby Building Society will launch a new mortgage with an interest rate of 0.99% next week – but the criteria look set to be fairly strict and it’s not a fix.
- Best savings: How to get Chip’s 1.25% easy access rate and a £10 bonuson April 16, 2021 at 2:24 pm
Savers with £10,000 can get access to a savings deal paying more than three times the best buy rate available on an easy-access account with a This is Money bonus.
- SMALL CAP MOVERS: Live Company to restart touring; Ridgecrest tumbleson April 16, 2021 at 11:45 am
Live Company shares soared 60 per cent this week as its operational update revealed light at the end of the tunnel. But Ridgecrest plunged 38 per cent.
- Markets addicted to inflationary monetary policy have central banks over a barrelon April 16, 2021 at 11:42 am
Markets have become so dependent on ultra-loose monetary policy, so hyper-sensitive to any possible change in conditions, that there is little authorities can now do to avoid the dreaded taper tantrum.
- Diesel car drivers and all motorists in London being overcharged for fuelon April 16, 2021 at 11:28 am
The price of oil dropped by $5 to $6 in recent weeks, though retailers have been reluctant to pass on savings to motorists. Diesel drivers in particular are being overcharged £1.50 per fill up, AA says.
- Government refuses to back proposals to try and fix Child Trust Fund lockouton April 16, 2021 at 10:05 am
Plans to make it easier for the parents of disabled children to access locked CTF and Junior Isa savings suffered a setback after the Government refused to back them in Parliament.
- Mercedes-Benz’s EQS is a space-age electric limo with a hi-tech dashboardon April 16, 2021 at 9:07 am
The elegant new flagship electric limousine glided silently into view today as the German car giant took the wraps off its new hi-tech and long-distance EQS saloon that can turn on a sixpence.
- The areas in Britain with the highest number of car insurance accident claimson April 16, 2021 at 8:55 am
Sutton and Hemel Hempstead are home to the highest number of drivers who have made accident claims on their car insurance in the last five years, new research shows.
- Stop throwing tampons down the toilet! FabLittleBag is on a missionon April 16, 2021 at 7:03 am
Every day in the UK around 2.5million tampons and 1.4million sanitary towel pads are flushed down the toilet. Mother-of-two Martha Silcott is on a mission to sort this out.
- Should you consider a Lifetime Isa as a supplementary pension pot?on April 16, 2021 at 6:48 am
Craig Hughes, 33, from North Lincolnshire is one saver hedging his bets by putting some of his retirement savings into a Lifetime Isa, which offers a 25% bonus on up to £4,000 of savings a year.
- Is your ‘green’ energy tariff actually harming the planet?on April 16, 2021 at 6:47 am
Households are being urged to check whether their green energy tariff is as environmentally friendly as it seems, after the practice of ‘greenwashing’ by energy companies has risen in the last few years.
- Queens of Tech making a fortune in a male-dominated worldon April 15, 2021 at 10:26 pm
Women bosses are still a minority in the technology industry, where men hold more than 80 per cent of directorships. But that has not stopped a string of talented female founders and chief executives.
- Activist investor Elliott builds stake in Glaxoon April 15, 2021 at 9:23 pm
Elliott Management has snapped up a multi-billion pound stake in Glaxo as it prepares to launch a shake-up of the FTSE100 drug-maker.
- Sanjeev Gupta carved up empire to boost Covid loanson April 15, 2021 at 9:18 pm
Gupta split up parts of the GFG Alliance – and registered new entities so that they could apply for emergency lending under the Coronavirus Large Business Interruption Loan Scheme.
- ALEX BRUMMER: GSK boss braces for action over activist investoron April 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm
So far there is no word as to what Elliott wants, but there is no escaping the fact that Glaxo shares have been a disappointment, dropping 14 per cent since Walmsley took the helm.
- Deliveroo founder defends company’s shambolic floaton April 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm
Will Shu has had a difficult couple of weeks after the takeaway delivery firm’s shares tanked on its stock market debut and large fund managers raised concerns over how its riders are treated.
- The Hut Group turns 74 staff into millionaireson April 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm
The lucky employees – including secretaries and warehouse workers – were given the shares when the company floated in September at a price of 500p.
- MARKET REPORT: Stock markets all over world smash recordson April 15, 2021 at 9:17 pm
London’s FTSE 250, Europe’s Stoxx600 and the Dow Jones and S&P 500 on Wall Street hit all-time highs. And the FTSE 100 inched closer to 7000 as it finished at its highest level since last February.
- Funds to help lower risk investors get better returns than on cashon April 15, 2021 at 12:47 pm
From defensive funds to online investment services, which pick assets on investors’ behalf, we have rounded up some less risky options to help investors preserve cash.
- The cars most likely to pass their MOT at the first attempton April 15, 2021 at 12:41 pm
For some drivers, an MOT reminder is a dreaded alert that their bank account is about to be raided to resolve a number of issues with their cars. But for owners of these models, it tends to be a breeze.
- GRACE ON THE CASE: We had solar panels fitted but want to get them removedon April 15, 2021 at 11:13 am
We had solar panels installed through Project Solar in 2016 but haven’t seen any benefits since then. Can we get out of the contract?
- Are you a carer missing out on valuable state pension credits?on April 15, 2021 at 6:28 am
Just 5,209 people claimed carer’s credits towards their state pension entitlement in 2020, a drop from 6,489 in 2019, according to figures obtained under an FOI request by Quilter.
- Warning for Android smartphone users over sophisticated banking trojanon April 15, 2021 at 6:28 am
Britons with Android phones have been urged to watch out for fake software updates that could give away their passwords and financial information and even take control of their phones.
- Best investment books: Experts reveal their favourite readson April 15, 2021 at 6:28 am
Finance professionals told us which books about investing they rate most highly, to give our readers some new ideas on how to improve your own performance.
- Low risk investing is a better option than a 1% 5-year fixed cash isaon April 15, 2021 at 6:27 am
For many who choose the lousy returns but relative safety of cash the answer comes down to a question of risk. However, it is possible to dial down that risk substantially.
Thursday, April 22, 2021